Re: AS2 media type (was: Re: Open Github Issues)

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca> wrote:
[snip]

>>    In my opinion, the concern is largely theoretical and is not backed
>> by real implementation experience. There is nothing to be gained by
>> switching to using the application/ld+json media type. Nor is there
>> anything "broken" about using the "application/activity+json".
>

> https://github.com/jasnell/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/issues/52#issuecomment-125879060
> awaits your response.
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-socialweb/2015Oct/0055.html
> awaits your response.

This note *is* my response. I remain unconvinced by any of the arguments given.

> And good documentation here:
> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/Media_type_for_AS2
>
> "it does not break anything" doesn't come across as a convincing argument to
> me because using application/json will work just fine.
>
> application/activity+json will only help you to know that the content which
> comes along will resemble the use of the AS2 vocabulary. It still won't tell
> you which JSON convention is used, and so it will require special
> processing.

"which JSON convention is used" ... I have no idea what this means.
Receiving 'application/activity+json' tells you that you're dealing
with an Activity Streams 2.0 document. Nothing more, nothing less.
It's still not clear what "breaks".

> The AS2 Serialization Notes essentially says that if you don't use the
> JSON-LD convention, well, take these measures so that we can sensibly end up
> with JSON-LD any way. I find it odd that we are dancing around the JSON-LD
> convention (a W3C Rec with decent adoption), but not just committing to it
> because we want to allow arbitrary JSON conventions (which is a fine thing
> to do in and of itself) but still map to JSON-LD.
>
> IMO, the arguments for reusing application/json or application/ld+json
> outweigh inventing application/activity+json.

It's still not clear what the argument is and why things would break
by using application/activity+json.