Re: Getting the group back on track

On 16 October 2015 at 15:34, Christopher Allan Webber <
cwebber@dustycloud.org> wrote:

> This is great news.  So that's MediaGoblin, Diaspora, Pump.IO,
> Friendica, the Clojure stuff from Thoughtworks, IBM's project (I'm
> forgetful of the name), and from my conversations off-list, quite
> possibly OwnCloud.  It looks like the willingness to implement AS2 is
> fairly strong in those groups.
>
> I agree with you that the serialization format is hardly the only
> critical point to be discuss, but figuring out at least that is a
> requirement to move forward on nailing down other things.
>
> Here's where this group is frequently stuck now: http://shed.bike/
>
> Again, we have to agree on a format before we move forwards on other
> things.  It may as well be our deliverable.
>
> Kevin Marks raised in the last meeting that there seems to be a
> disagreement about whether or not this group is to build something
> prescriptive and defining a standard, or evaluatory and summing the
> state of the field.  I agree that there's disagreement over this!  We've
> already done a lot of the latter, summing the state of the world and
> doing evaluation; I want to use that information to move on to actually
> building something people can implement.  That requires making
> decisions.
>
> <kevinmarks> cwebber2: I found this quote that sums up well what I am
> getting
>              at: https://kindle.amazon.com/post/HLglK_6oRhOnsiQSo829eg

Yes it's a good point.  Languages change over time.  That is why ontologies
were invented which are a snapshot of what we know at a certain point in
time.  On the web there is an advantage to work with stable long lived
identifiers ("Cool URIs dont change"), so it's generally better to *add*
something new, than to *change* something existing.