Re: Getting the group back on track

On 10/14/2015 04:51 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:

> On 10/14/2015 08:09 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>

>> On 13 October 2015 at 16:08, Christopher Allan Webber
>> <cwebber@dustycloud.org <mailto:cwebber@dustycloud.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Evan Prodromou writes:
>>
>>     > On 2015-10-12 10:28 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>     >> I dont think taking yet another JSON serialization to REC is a good
>>     >> idea, when we already have a JSON REC (JSON LD) which is to all
>>     >> intents and purposes identical.  I am wondering if there will
>>     be some
>>     >> formal objection down the line.
>>     >
>>     > Have you reviewed AS 2.0? It's explicitly compatible with
>>     JSON-LD, as a
>>     > design goal. It's more or less a vocabulary on top of JSON-LD.
>>
>>     Not only is it built on top of json-ld, if you go to
>>     http://json-ld.org/playground/ you'll see there's even an [Activity]
>>     button on there.  Hit the n-quads tab, you'll see that we can even
>>     convert to RDF.
>>
>>     ActivityStreams is based on JSON-LD and is directly convertable to
>>     RDF... I think the AS direction and the linked data direction
>>     currently
>>     have a smooth integration path.
>>

>> An HTTP response is not just a document.  It's a header too.  Both
>> must be compatible with tooling to work out of the box.
>>
>> In particular there is an open issue regarding changing the JSON LD
>> header field for content type to : "application/activity+json", for no
>> particularly good reason, imho.
>>
>> This would break most existing tooling, and reducing the developer
>> audience, and a whole raft of tooling.  While certain parts of the the
>> playground *may* work in isolation, most other stuff would not.  Im
>> unsure developers are going to want to retool to support AS2 given
>> this, at least in the short term.
>>
>> The other aspect having to then register this stuff with the standards
>> body
>> - mime type registered with IANA
>> - new file extension chosen
>> - file extension registered with IANA
>> - wait to see if any of the W3C stake holders formally object
>>
>> This would substantially increase the chance of AS2 failing to gain
>> traction, so I think some developers are waiting to see that outcome
>> before investing time in implementation.
>
> Can you point to what tooling breaks?
>
> The larger issue with some of the RDF-centric approaches is that while
> we can recommend Link HTTP headers and MIME types, most tooling that I
> know of ignores both of these, and would also not expand JSON-LD (since
> most tooling is JSON-centric)

Systems which integrate AS2.0 data from multiple sources need at minimum
expand CURIEs to distinguish properties using full URIs

http://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/#aggregation-of-extensions

Also our charter says:

"A transfer syntax for social data such as activities (such as status
updates) should include at least the ability to describe the data using
*URIs* in an extensible manner, time-stamping, and should include a
serialization compatible with Javascript (JSON) and possibly JSON-LD."