Re: Post Type Discovery

On 7 October 2015 at 16:38, elf Pavlik <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
wrote:

> On 10/07/2015 03:42 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > On 7 October 2015 at 12:47, elf Pavlik <perpetual-tripper@wwelves.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On second thought I will +1 accepting it as Editor's Draft if it does
> >> NOT commit us to publish it as Working Draft, we will need to reach
> >> consensus before doing it. IMO working on it together will provide
> >> chance for us to develop better understanding of similarities and
> >> differences in modeling currently recommended in AS2.0 (W3C Working
> >> Draft) and Microformats (Independent Drafts). So far I only saw one
> >> effort in that direction between James and Tantek:
> >> * https://www.w3.org/wiki/Activity_Streams/Microformats_Mapping
> >> and multiple efforts by Amy:
> >> * http://rhiaro.co.uk/tag/socialwg
> >>
> >> What I see promissing here:
> >> https://indiewebcamp.com/post-type-discovery#Next_steps
> >> if accepted as an Editor's draft in the W3C Social Web Working Group:
> >>  * keep a copy on the W3C wiki, e.g.
> >> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Post-type-discovery
> >>  * use W3C Social Web github for issues
> >>  * use #social on irc.w3.org for discussion - both of which, officially
> >> *instead of* email. Unofficial discussion are of course encouraged
> >> anywhere people want!
> >>

> > I would caution of using IRC *instead of* email, but rather, *in
> additions
> > to*.  The mailing list is a normative communications channel in a WG.  In
> > order to remain in good standing, participants are required to follow
> > relevant topics in the mailing list.
> Less that mailing list, I see github issues as very useful channel which
> offers features like nicely formated code snippets, inline images and
> other perks which come with flavored markdown. I also aligns with Modern
> Tooling effort
>
> https://w3c.github.io/modern-tooling/#de-facto-github

Agree this is valuable.  But the mailing list is critical to make progress,
and a WG requirement see:

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process-20010719/groups.html#good-standing
4.2.4 Good Standing in a Working Group

Participation on an ongoing basis implies a serious commitment to the
Working Group charter, including:

   - being familiar with the relevant documents of the Working Group,
   including minutes of past meetings.
   - following discussions on relevant mailing list(s).

This has been a problematic area for this WG as per attempts to circumvent
it, leading to lost time and progress.

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Socialwg/2015-04-14-minutes#resolution01

On a number of occasions, people have shown up to the the telecon only to
find important members are unaware of the relevant discussions, and costing
the limited telecon time that we have.

So while modern tooling is great, and can be very helpful, the mailing list
is the canonical area that we all follow.  And Indeed, it's a W3C
requirement for good standing.