Re: ISSUE-7: Are as consumers required to understand the pre-json-ld syntax?

hello elf.

On 2015-03-05 18:36, ☮ elf Pavlik ☮ wrote:
> On 10/29/2014 01:43 AM, Erik Wilde wrote:
>> On 2014-10-28, 17:37, Social Web Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:
>>> ISSUE-7: Are as consumers required to understand the pre-json-ld syntax?
>>> http://www.w3.org/Social/track/issues/7
>>
>> that would ideally be backed by test cases: have AS1 test cases, define
>> how it is supposed to be understood in AS2 (MUST be accepted by an AS2
>> consumer or not), and then see how implementation are processing this.
>>
>> in terms of spec writing, this is what i think should show up in the
>> "processing model" section: what does the spec say how the syntax and
>> the data model view connect?
>
> Erik, James, do you have any updates on this one?

i am afraid not. we're happily using AS1 with extensions and have pretty
much defined our own extension and processing model. but this would not
map well into AS2 if JSON-LD is a required part of the processing model,
because our extensions are native JSON.

to me, ISSUE-7 can only be resolved meaningfully once we have a spec
structure that either makes it clear that AS is JSON-based and there's a
separate (and optional) "handling AS as RDF via JSON-LD" spec, or where
we bite the bullet and say "AS *is* RDF, but limited to one specific
serialization". both are possible routes, but so far we're avoiding a
clear answer, which is going to bite us once we have RDF-based and
non-RDF-based implementations trying to interoperate.

http://dret.typepad.com/dretblog/2015/02/json-or-rdf-just-decide.html

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |