Re: standardizing webmention

On 14 July 2015 at 18:54, Amy G <amy@rhiaro.co.uk> wrote:

> Hey Melvin,
>
> Great to hear you're so enthusiastic about the potential of webmention. I
> have some responses to your points:
>
> > 4. webmention is a call by reference type function, whereas most
> functions allow both call by reference and call by value.  So when say
> activity pump sends a serialized activity stream, webmention would fail.
>
> I don't really see why this is a problem. Personally I think that AP's
> sending of the whole json Activity is overkill, and sending the URIs of the
> source and target of the notification to the recipent inbox endpoint would
> actually suffice here.
>
> After a server receives a webmention, it can retrieve the data about the
> source by dereferencing the source URL. Dereferencing the URL is also
> required in AP, to check the validity of the received Activity. So there's
> not much difference in that regard. Ie. same number of requests, just AP
> passes more data in the first one.

Yes, but your personal preferences and others may differ.

> > 5. webmention objects dont return URIs, this violates web axioms, where
> everything of note should have a URI
>
> This is not correct. The webmention spec says: "The response body SHOULD
> include a URL that can be used to monitor the status of the request."
>
> > 6. webmention is not extensible over and beyond the source and target
> parameters, which is problematic for any extra kind of data
>
> Webmention is extensible by adding new parameters. See for example
> indiewebcamp.com/vouch, which is an existing, implemented, extension to
> webmention.
>
> Out of interest, can you give examples of extra kinds of data you'd like
> to send using a mechanism like webmention?
>
> > 7. webmention is not namespaces, preventing both open ended scalability,
> but also it's hard to translate source and target into URIs ... would
> should they be?  urn:source and urn:target ... any suggestion here is
> problematic.
>
> I guess, again, use cases for sending data other than the source and
> target would help to understand here. Webmention is deliberately simple. A
> side effect of this is that data that the recipent is expected to consume
> must be discoverable by dereferencing the source URL, so no data can be
> sent from a third-party that it is not possible to validate in this way.

I understand it's deliberately simple.  But that comes at the cost of
scalability.  For example sending a direct message via a JSON activity
stream, is one of the user stories.  Webmention is too basic to understand
that.  If it were to understand AS2 and JSON as a MUST, that's a different
story.