Webfinger

On January 30, 2015 8:55:00 AM EST, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:
>If we decide to use WebFinger here, then so be it. I personally feel
>it's
>easily possible to do significantly better.

Shall we open an ISSUE on this?   My sense is webfinger is kind of useful and also kind of annoying if you need to map email to proper IDs.

Even if webfinger were perfect for this, I'd probably still lean against using email addresses as primary identifiers for accounts.    I think.    Mostly I'm aware how much technical and social baggage they have.    Maybe I'm biased by my older-teen kids thinking of email as obsolete (and dumb).

The indieweb reasons against webfinger are mostly not compelling for me, but a few of them are.    If we're going to use it, I'd think we should update it to be JUST a mapping from email to profile URL.  That is, http://w3.org/.well-known/wf2?email= sandro@w3.org would http redirect to http://www.w3.org/People/Sandro.   And that would be the entirely of the standard, give or take edge cases.

    - Sandro

Shall