Re: as:Like (a rdfs:Class) or as:like (a rdf:Property) ?

Hey Pavlik,

I've spent some time trying to untangle this today, and I hope I've
interpreted what you meant correctly...

Currently to like something with AS2:

* post a `Like` `Activity`, with `object` of liked-thing

I think you're suggesting to replace this with:

* post a `Create` `Activity` with `object` of `Relation` which has
`property` of `likes` and `object` of liked-thing.

On the basis that you think the **Social API** should specify a side-effect
of generating a `likes` direct relation between the liker and the
liked-thing? And that in the case of this side effect, being able to map
the qualified likes relation onto the direct likes relation using the same
term is useful? And that this would also allow you to shortcut the creation
of the `Activity` and just create the direct relation instead?

ActivityPump currently specs a similar side effect, of the `Like`
`Activity` triggering the adding of the subject and object to various
Collections which allows the improved querying I think is the main
advantage of the direct relations.

I'm still not totally sure what the advantages to this additional level of
abstraction for like relations is. As I see it, you've just replaced an
`Activity` object with an additional `Relation` object, and shuffled some
properties. Instinctively I don't think encouraging *only* direct relations
is good, but I can see how they'd be useful in addition to qualified
relations (which are *already* provided by an `Activity` with `actor` and
`object`).

The way it's done using microformats is different again, but more similar
to a `Like Activity`, except the `object` property is replaced with a
`like-of` property, and there is no explicit `type`. But this is still the
same qualified relation, in the same way AS2 does it. The semantics of the
`like-of` property are *not* the same as a `likes` property that would
exist between the liker and the liked-thing, so this doesn't match what
you're suggesting.

I don't think this needs to get any more complicated for
follow/subscribe/friend relations. ActivityStreams already has a
`Relationship` object for relationships between Actors, and doing a friend
request and acceptance using existing AS2 terms is walked through in
[3.1.1.1](
http://jasnell.github.io/w3c-socialwg-activitystreams/activitystreams-vocabulary/index.html#connections
).