RE: **PROPOSED** AS2 spec update

On Thursday, November 06, 2014 9:53 PM, Owen Shepherd wrote:
>> Markus Lanthaler
>> 06 November 2014 20:39
>> On 6 Nov 2014 at 21:10, James M Snell wrote:
>> While the blank nodes here may be inconvenient, they are easy to work
>> with in JSON-LD and are no more inconvenient than working with the
>> MediaLink construct in AS1. The goal here is a model that works, not
>> one that attempts to make everyone happy. I don't see how your
>> suggested alternative below is an improvement.
>>
>> I'm also a bit on the fence about this. I have to admit I fail to
>> fully understand why we need this. The examples in the updated draft
>> without "rel" would be completely fine and idiomatic JSON(-LD) without
>> introducing as:Link and href as you really just describe the
>> referenced resource:
>>
>>         "image": {
>>           "@id": "http://example.org/martin/image",
>>       -->          "@type": "as:Link",  <-- not needed *
>>           "mediaType": "image/jpeg",
>>           "width": 250,
>>           "height": 250
>         }
>
> So, a bit of context: In AS1 implementations, the ID of an image
> object is very distinct from the URI of the actual image. This because
> an Image object is a lot more than an image: it is maybe a title and a
> description, links to comment feeds, links to a thumbnail, etc.
> Convention kind of is that an image's ID should point to the URI at
> which you can get the AS JSON.

I see

> This is actually a really useful model, and the one I push for in AS2.
> It also avoids certain issues which can occur when multiple things get
> uniqued together in the JSON-LD processing model because they have the
> same ID.

Right

> One of the consequences of that is the AS:Media/AS:MediaObject model I
> suggested in an earlier thread. It makes the properties of an image
> the same whether they're an as:Image (a full social object I can
> interact with) or just an image (i.e. an object I can't really
> interact with). This is really useful to anybody who actually wants to
> interact with and reason about the social graph.

OK... I think I now understand the reasoning behind this. I find as:Link even more confusing now. Why model this more explicitly to make it easier to understand what information is expressed.

        "image": {
          "@type": "as:MediaObject",
          "mediaType": "image/jpeg",
          "width": 250,
          "height": 250,
          "contentUrl": "http://example.org/martin/image",
        }

Btw. this is more or less exactly what http://schema.org/MediaObject does.

P.S.: Generally, text-only mails are strongly preferred on mailing lists like this.

Cheers,
Markus

--
Markus Lanthaler