Re: Remove "rel" from Link

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM, James M Snell <jasnell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > -1 on removing the functionality, +1 on exploring how else it might be
> > represented
>

> "rel" is essentially establishes a qualified relationship. The
> predicate can be used just as easily.

Yup, +1 to using relationships when you mean a relationship. Though it
makes the context document potentially very long if all of the rels are
imported, and introduces a source of potential collision as per dret's
mail.  That could be solved (to a certain extent) by freezing the set of
rels that are available whenever the context document is changed, or by
using a prefix.

{
>   "preview": {
>     "@type": "as:Link",
>     "@id": "http://example.org/foo"
>   }
> }

This still says that the image is a Link (hooray Open World) which is
weird, in my opinion.  If everything can be a Link, then it doesn't really
make any useful assertion.

> The other alternative approach is to use a true qualified relationship
> model with an intermediate object (using "url" or "href" to identify
> the linked resource instead of "@id")
>
> {
>   "image": {
>     "@type": "as:Link",
>     "rel": "preview",
>     "href": "http://example.org/foo"
>   }
> }
> (note the lack of @id)

Indeed. This is reifying the relationship to a blank node, where subject is
the parent object, the predicate is in rel and the object in href.

As with any reification ... is it necessary above and beyond a real,
simpler, relationship?

I'm good with whichever way the WG decides. I just know that the
> current definition doesn't work the way it's currently modeled.

Agreed! :)

Rob