Re: SWJ special issue on The Personal and Social Semantic Web, Deadline: July 29

I have read through this call for submissions on The Personal and Social
Semantic Web a couple of times.
I find it very interesting and also very surprising.

a major challenge is to allow various applications to exchange,
> reuse, and integrate user data from different sources.

various applications. Such as those that ask for permission in Facebook,
etc. But these work with existing APIs. Presumably what is available through
these APIs is a subset of what is available to Facebook etc. because of this
following?

> Such data comes in different flavors: user data such as user profiles,
> social networking/tagging/blogging data, etc.

We can see this I think.

> as well as usage data like clickthrough data or query logs.

But I don't think we can see this at all?

The amount of people's data
> available on the Web is tremendously growing so that sharing and mining
> ...  is a non-trivial problem ...

Yes.

means to facilitate integration of user and usage data

Is usage data available - what is meant by usage data here?

connecting user and usage data traces ...

Usage data traces? How is this going to be captured?

Linking distributed traces of user data provides new possibilities for
> inferring and modelling user preferences and personalizing Web systems to
> individual needs.

'to individual needs' perhaps. But isn't this the same data that Facebook et
al. capture and then package to resell to advertisers?
Two points.
1. If this is much the same data, even if derived by other means, it would
seem that the Social Semantic Web would be undercutting the business model
of Facebook et al? I would think it will be very difficult to access or
create otherwise the data on which their business models depend.
2. This data is indeed potentially very sensitive, and for this reason I
believe the public have an interest in it. Further, making it available to
users may be the only way of turning the corner away from a system that
effectively monitors everyone for the benefit of some third party or
parties. This is a subtle issue.
I was in a conversation recently with someone who was describing the
situation as it used to be in East Germany where the Stassi had convinced
say 70% of the population to spy on each other. So people would go around
with note books, stand at school gates or other innocent meeting places
jotting things down. Dangerous for the 30% who refused and a good method of
ensuring compliance.
With the advent of the web there are more effective methods of monitoring
people, by looking at trends in conversations, growth of conversations and
other things I haven't thought of, I expect. Not quite the same (and we do
not know what or if this is done) but not so very different either.
I do think that information that is made more firmly into the ownership of
the user/creator is better than an anonymous silo that may be mined for all
sorts of purposes by unknown entities.
A semantic approach may not prevent that sort of data mining, it may not be
desirable to prevent it, it may even facilitate it. But it also may give
greater ownership to the user creator of that data whereby they can
anticipate, if not control, how their data is mined?

Just some thoughts on these issues.

Best,

Adam