From: public-xg-socialweb-request@w3.org [public-xg-socialweb-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of ext Harry Halpin [hhalpin@ibiblio.org]
Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 5:57 PM
To: public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
Cc: public-social-web-talk@w3.org
Subject: Pre-Telecon Introductions

Please, everyone introduce yourself over the list-serv over the
telecon. Some people  have already done so. If you could, just give
everyone your name, your organization if you have one, and what your
background and hopes for the Social Web XG are.

I'm Harry Halpin, from the School of Informatics at the University of
Edinburgh,and now W3C Fellow. My background is pretty varied in
computer science research, mostly in statistical techniques,
machine-learning,  and the Semantic Web. My most well-known work is on
the dynamics of tagging systems, and I'm interested primarily in
large-scale open standards for social network data-mining that will
make my life as a researcher of these systems easier. However, I
strongly believe that the user should own their own data and expicitly
let others user it for research as needed, so I'm also very much an
advocate for user's rights and electronic freedom and privacy. My main
work in this XG will be really pushing us to deliver a roadmap for
future W3C standardization in the area. Look forward to working with
you all!