Re: New: Social Networking Best Practices page and discussion

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:32:17 +0000
To: Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>
Cc: Christine Perey <cperey@perey.com>, "danbri@danbri.org" <danbri@danbri.org>, 'Tim Anglade' <tim.anglade@af83.com>, 'Marcus Ladwig' <ladwig@peperoni.de>, 'Venezia Claudio' <claudio.venezia@telecomitalia.it>, 'John Kemp' <john.kemp@nokia.com>, "'Appelquist, Daniel, VF-Group'" <Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com>, "Soren.Preibusch@cl.cam.ac.uk" <Soren.Preibusch@cl.cam.ac.uk>, "karl+w3c@la-grange.net" <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, "Lisa.McKnight@nokia.com" <Lisa.McKnight@nokia.com>, "Henry.Story@Sun.COM" <Henry.Story@Sun.COM>, 'Dominique Hazael-Massieux' <dom@w3.org>, public-social-web-talk@w3.org

Renato Iannella wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2009, at 17:22, Christine Perey wrote:
>
>> As first author, I took the liberty of expanding the scope of the
>> suggested best practices on privacy to suggest an entire Social
>> Networking Best Practices group (task force, whatever) so that it
>> would focus on privacy and at the same time accommodate several other
>> best practices themes (examples above) which I believe are today, and
>> will remain over time, necessary.
>
> I agree with the content. I think we need to add it all into the "mix"
> then work out the best structure(s) to manage them...
>
>> tangent #2: In the words/labels we are using, we (or perhaps I)
>> are continually grouping "data mining/semantic web" with user "data
>> portability."  I believe that they are separate and I don't
>> understand why they are being grouped together in the conversation.
>> Clarification somewhere would be appreciated (and beneficial to
>> others, I feel)
>
> They are separate in my mind too...DP is layer(s) above technical
> approaches....
I am fine with a "Best Practices" group for security/privacy/etc.
concerns and another group focussed on "mapping data-formats and APIs".
If you wish to call that "portability" that's fine with me, and
obviously one fomrat is "Semantic Web". I personally like the term
"interoperability."

Also, can everyone actually be subscribed to:
public-social-web-talk@w3.org so I can just e-mail the list and not cc
people?