Re: Consolidation of Task-forces

Hi,

Le 10 févr. 09 à 19:34, Harry Halpin a écrit :

>    Looking at the Unified Charter and then activity on this list, it's
> pretty obvious we have too many task forces and not enough people to
> commit [1]. I see no reason why we should not consolidate the task
> forces. I'd rather aim for a smaller amount of quality deliverables
> that
> include running code than innumerable reports on the current state of
> play in social networking. Remember - the point of an W3C XG is to
> figure out what needs to be *standardized* Therefore, I suggest:
>
> 1) That the Landscape and Business Task force merge and produce a
> single
> report, talking about the current landscape, business potentials, and
> future for W3C standardization in the area of social networking. It
> appears that Tim Anglade and Christine Perey would appear to be
> willing
> to edit this document. This report will be the main proposal put
> forward
> for future work to the rest of the W3C once the XG ends.
>
> Also, note that internationalization and access for people of all
> levels
> of abilities has been a strong point for the W3C, and this should
> clearly be part of the final report.
>
> 2) That the Privacy and Trust Group Task Force merge with the
> Contextual
> Data Task force. It seems contextual data is also code for mobile
> phones, so obviously Distributed Architecture should take this into
> account. It appears Krisha Sankar has an interest in editing this. A
> single deliverable that inspects current solutions would be good.
>
> 3) That the Distributed Architectures and Interoperability task forces
> merge, and produce a single document that maps data-formats from
> differing networks and makes a case for distributed social networking.

> Fabien Gandon, Joaquin Salvachua and Krishna Sankar have all expressed
> interest in editing here.

I do agree re. joining the task forces (strong overlap between the two
topics).
You can also count on me regarding editing / authorship some of the
documents (preference for the distributed architectures topics).

> First thing we do as an XG is we jointly produce a use-case document
> that shows how business practices, best practices, privacy and trust,
> and distributed architectures can work together.
>
> Finally, we see if we can find or help produce three interoperable
> implementations (ideally building off of and working with existing
> code-bases, such as that put forward by Henry Story) that demonstrate
> running code that fulfills these ideas. Ideally, at least one of these
> code-bases would be mobile-phone based.
>
> Instead of 7 task forces with lots of report-based deliverables, we
> get
> three reports, the first 2 high-level, the latter 2 technical, and
> some
> demo code.
>
> 1) Final Report to W3C
> 2) Use-Cases
> 3) Distributed Architecture and Interoperability Report and Mapping
> 4) Privacy and Trust Report
> 5) Code

Re. the code, there are already various implementations over there
(openstack, various RDF-exporters / wrappers for major sites, data-
consumers, etc ...)
I'm wondering how 'code' itself should be considered as a deliverable.
I think it would be most appropriate to have some code in various TF,
rather that considering code as a separate one ?
(moreover, IP / licencing issues may also be taken into account)

Best,

Alex.

--
Alexandre Passant