Re: New, Unified XG Proposal

Hi,

Le 3 févr. 09 à 19:16, Tim Anglade a écrit :

> Dear workshop participants, position paper submitters, interested
> parties…
>
> Following the vote and the concerns expressed on each side, a
> unified Draft Charter proposal, merging the two previous Incubator
> Group proposals, is now ready for you to visit [1]
> It is structured as a single Incubator Group with several focused
> Task Forces inside of it.

As mentionned in the previous thread, I'm afraid that such a group
won't be productive.
Maybe I'm wrong - but I difficultly believe that a monthly call when
we need to talk about 7 task forces and 15 deliverables between (let's
say) 20/30 people can be useful and realistic.

> In the process of re-crafting this charter, those of us working on
> it took the opportunity to fold in some discussions which were not
> in either of the charters but might still be of interest to some in
> this large group. For example, Distributed Architectures and User
> Experiences. The result is that the new charter is now larger than
> the sum of the original two.

I'm sure that each topics is interesting considering a global 'social
Web' picture. But do you think that in the same monthly telecon we can
talk about business models, user-interfaces, dataportability, privacy,
etc. in a productive way ?
On the other hand, I agree that some topics overlap, for instance the
privacy and Harry's taskforce share common action items.
BTW, is that voluntary ? (I mean that kind of joint task-forces ?)

> Please come and check it out.
>
> If this exercise is going to work we need everyone's participation
> and comments. That means, don't hesitate to start debating a section
> about which you feel passionate or to edit or add yourself into the
> work plan!
>

> The rules are simple No Editor => No Deliverable => No Task Force.
> (Let's hope it won't go the extra step: => No XG) So please add/
> remove/edit the Deliverables, Task Forces, and the whole wiki page
> away.

Due to the current charter and if we consider a single telecon, I'm
afraid I won't participate actively - not because I'm not interested
in the issue, but because I really want such an XG to do concrete
actions / deliverables / etc and not sure the current proposal can
achieve it.
Yet, in case there's alternative ways, either various XG, or task-
force focused management, I'd be happy to *actively* contribute to
some of the deliverables (i.e. co-edit / author).
But in that case, I strongly suggest that each task-force conduct a
weekly meeting in short committee and that taskforces leaders /
deliverables editors have then a monthly telecon - that's certainly
more work, but I guess more productive. (is that still in the spirit
of an XG or does it sound more like an IG ?)

Best,

Alex.

--
Alexandre Passant