Re: Vocabulary 'tutorial'?

Erik,

It's JSON-LD based but we are accepting the reality of the situation
that 99% of the programmers are not currently using RDF  or any
semantic tooling, especially inference and will glaze over any
RDF-heavy parts of the spec. That's why any sub-class/sub-type
relationships have to be coded as such in the spec.

Thus, most AS2.0 will likely forget @context, not follow any JSON-LD
processing, etc. Thus, we'll have a implicit context in the media type.

However, we want the minority of RDF-enabled developers to take
advantage of their toolsets.  ince it *will* feature URI-based
extensibility, the vocabularies will use URIs.

 We could for vocabularies just use lists of URIs. I see no harm done
in allowing these vocabularies to use RDF(S) since the communities
that care about extensibility may end up using RDF more than others.
However, again, tooling for RDF vocabulary creation is, 15 years into
RDF, still seemingly rather undeveloped.

If we mandated full RDF processing, probably at least half of the
Working Group would walk away (i.e. the IndieWeb folks). If we
mandated no extensibility, we'd repeat the mistake of AS1.0 and we'd
have to redesign AS3.0 pretty soon.

So JSON-LD is a compromise. If in the future RDF takes off, more
people can use it. If it fails, then we'll just treat AS2.0 as
ordinary JSON. It's a win-win situation and it seems any objections
(i.e. mandating inference, etc.) are effectively edge-cases that
ignore the reality of modern web development.

   cheers,
        harry