Re: a common understanding of profiles

On 06/26/2015 05:04 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> On 26 June 2015 at 14:23, Evan Prodromou <evan@e14n.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-06-26 07:37 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding the URI above.  It can become slightly problematic attaching
>>> key value pairs to an HTTP document, also doubling as a Person.
>>>
>> I'm pretty sure I didn't do that in the example I gave.
>>

> Well I thought you were tying (for example) the key "@type" and value
> "Person" to the http doc : https://evanprodmorou.example/profile
>

>>> So, how to get interoperable profiles?

Note this question was explicitly scoped to the Social Interest Group,
as obviously profiles are going to vary alot across systems and only the
most generic pieces of syntax. So, could we move this discussion there?

>> Pick a data standard, and a way to find the profiles. Then, everybody
>> implements that.

+1 good to re-use a well-known standard.  Typically, that would be VCard
(support across most of the ecosystem), which basically merged with a
good deal of PortableContacts in VCard 4.0. It's got an XML
serliazation, it maps to hCard for microformat users, and there's a RDF
serialization for RDF users (not sure why FOAF didn't closely align
more, but that could fixed).

For things that aren't part of core vCard, the IG is empowered to create
and maintain vocabularies (published as Interest Group Notes), and we
imagined there would be lots of activity and iterations and maintenance
of these vocabularies might go beyond the lifetime of the WG. The W3C is
happy also co-ordinate as needed with schema.org and IETF on these issues.

   cheers,
      harry