R: notes from Social Business CG discussion on April 3 of the W3C Social Networking Headlights Project's draft block diagram

Hello all,

Sorry i could not make it yesterday but Tuesday is quite a tough day for me usually. I am looking forward to seeing the first use cases coming up.

Regarding the SN picture this is indeed a tough task listing them, further considering there are "dependencies" between several of them, that would be worth noting somehow.
It would also be useful to have a page listing all these specifications and corresponding url(s)

Here are some other comments:

-          I agree with Alberto I am not familiar with activitystreams being used for profile (although the definition of person objects but they are typically not used for a full profile representation). On the other hand I would definitely introduce Opensocial as profile data representation. It is wire compatible with portable contacts but would deserved being mentioned separately. So would I do in groups & contacts.

-          Regarding search vs discovery I do see them as distinct topics: discovery is based on a specific identity that you already know, for which you want to "discover" additional information (where to access profile, activities, avatar, etc), search (at least profile search) is primarily for "searching" the identity of a user based on some criteria (eg profile attributes). Of course search could also apply to other entities, such as activities, groups, places, etc so it may deserve a top-level box on its own.

-          I would also mention salmon in other boxes than reactions. Diaspora is using it for a variety of other means, some of which are interesting such as messaging (in between email-like and chat-like, say FB-like), likes and other reactions made by others on your activities, etc

-          Regarding push I would cite OMA Push as a standard for mobile notifications, and the event-source for browser notifications

-          In the data structures you could also mention JRD (XRD  json representation introduced in rfc6415)

-          I have not clear the semantics of the single boxes within sharing: is it referred to a protocol for sharing eg location, or a data format, or something else?

-          I also would suggest to add OMA MobSocNet (Mobile Social Network) as another standard fin this area. MobSocNet is an "umbrella" standard that captures some (quite a few) of the specifications cited already in this picture and bring them together to create an end-to-end standard (for mobile but not only). So I may suggest an "umbrella" or "end-to-end" top-level box that would capture this.

Regards
walter