ISSUE-70 (Derek): The spec should clearly state that vendors must support both BytesMessage and TextMessage. [SOAP-JMS Binding specification]

From: SOAP-JMS Binding Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:33:25 +0000
To: public-soap-jms@w3.org

ISSUE-70 (Derek): The spec should clearly state that vendors must support both BytesMessage and TextMessage. [SOAP-JMS Binding specification]

http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/soapjms/tracker/issues/70

Raised by: Derek Rokicki
On product: SOAP-JMS Binding specification

As discussed in our last meeting, the spec may not be clear as to how and when vendors must support the different JMS message types.

Section 2.4 says, "The contents of the JMS Message body MUST be the SOAP payload as a JMS BytesMessage or TextMessage."  This statement does not make it clear that the receiving node (i.e. web service provider) must support both message types.  Requiring support for both message types can be inferred in section 2.6.2.3, however it is probably best if we spell this out clearly earlier in the spec.

I propose we add the following statement to section 2.4, "while the requesting node can support either BytesMessage or TextMessage, the receiving node MUST support both BytesMessage and TextMessage."