Re: ISSUE-30: The URI is not explicitly mentioned in the precedence rules for WSDL 2.0 [SOAP-JMS Binding specification]

Hmmmmm.

On Tue,  2 Mar 2010 13:33:51 +0000 (GMT), SOAP-JMS Binding Working
Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-30: The URI is not explicitly mentioned in the precedence rules
> for WSDL 2.0 [SOAP-JMS Binding specification]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/soapjms/tracker/issues/30
>
> Raised by: Mark Phillips
> On product: SOAP-JMS Binding specification
>
> Section 3.6.1.1 (WSDL 2.0) of the spec. states that the property
> precedence rules are the same as in section 3.4.4 but the explanatory
> wording does not mention the URI.  It would be clearer and more
> consistent if we mentioned the URI in both sections.

I think that this has come up before.  Perhaps we should check for
records?

> Proposal:
>
> In section section 3.6.1.1 change the sentence:
> The most-specific setting overrides less-specific ones, so endpoint
> wins over service, which wins over binding. For a particular
> interaction, the property might be found on the Endpoint component,
> then Service, then Binding, taking whichever value you find first.
> ...to...
> The most-specific setting overrides less-specific ones, so URI wins
> over endpoint , endpoint wins over service, and service wins over
> binding. For a particular interaction, the property might be found on
> the URI, then Endpoint, then Service, then Binding, taking whichever
> value you find first.

Where is "URI" coming from, if it isn't coming from "endpoint", in WSDL
context?

That's been the question raised, as I recall, in previous discussions.
Yes, if you're operating without WSDL (which is valid, as WSDL support
is not required for conformance with the SOAP/JMS binding core), then
URI will *still* be available (and the properties that it
defines/exposes will be available, as a consequence--but it and the
environment will be the only property sources; WSDL is irrelevant in
that context).  If you're in a WSDL environment, then the URI is
presumably provided *by the WSDL endpoint*; there's no provision, *in
WSDL*, for overriding the endpoint URI with an externally-supplied
abstraction.

In short, in WSDL, "endpoint" contains "URI", so that the text as it
stands is effectively complete, and introducing "URI" as a concept
somehow able to override "endpoint", when WSDL support is active,
introduces incompatibility with the WSDL specification (whether it is
1.1 or 2.0).  So ... I recommend that this be closed with no action, or
else we clarify, in the text:

"... the property might be found on the Endpoint component (which
contains the URI), ..."

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis