Re: Fw: ACTION-70: rewording Content-type discussion

Phil Adams wrote:

> This is my final answer :)
>
> The contents of the JMS Message body MUST be the SOAP payload as a JMS
> BytesMessage or TextMessage.[Definition: Use fault subcode
> unsupportedJMSMessageFormat when the arriving message format is not
> BytesMessage or TextMessage. †]. The formatting of the SOAP payload is
> determined by the SOAP node, and should follow the same rules as for
> the SOAP/HTTP
> binding, as described in the following specifications:  SOAP 1.1
> specification,
> SOAP 1.2 specification, RFC 2376, RFC 2045.
Seems like we could tighten this up a little bit.  Options:

    * formal references to the specifications, rather than just naming them.
    * formal references to the specific relevant parts of the
      specifications in question

Other nits:

    * RFC 2376 is not one of the RFCs we have in our reference section yet.
    * Seems like a good idea to mention MTOM and SwA here, rather than later

> The primary requirement is that the value used for the Content-type
> MUST be consistent with the formatting of the SOAP payload.   For
> example, if the
> SOAP payload is formatted as a simple SOAP envelope, the Content-type
> value MUST be specified as "text/xml" for SOAP 1.1 or
> "application/soap+xml" for SOAP 1.2.  On the other hand, if the SOAP
> payload is formatted as a MIME multipart message, the Content-type
> value MUST be specified as "multipart/related".   In this way, the
> SOAP node determines the proper formatting of the SOAP payload
> irrespective of the underlying JMS message, and specifies a corresponding
> value for the Content-type which appropriately describes it to
> the receiving SOAP node.  Note also that if the payload is formatted as a
> MIME multipart message, then the first thing encountered in the JMS
> Message
> Body's byte stream MUST be the MIME boundary for the start of the
> first part —
> what MIME Part One [IETF RFC 2045] section 2.5
> calls a "Body Part".
There are two issues here;

    * JMS Message Body's byte stream - odd to capitalize this instance
      of "Body", and technically, it isn't just a "byte" stream, so it
      perhaps should read "byte or character stream."
    * Seems like we want a second sentence here.  My suggestion -
      "Likewise, if the message is formatted as "text/xml" or
      "application/soap+xml", then the first thing in the byte or
      character stream MUST be a conforming XML document."

Hmmm - in both my sentence, and the sentence already there, the phrase
"first thing" is sufficiently vague.  I'm not thinking immediately of
how we could tighten this up.
> The message will be encoded using SOAP Messages with
> Attachments [SOAP Messages with Attachments]
> or XOP [SOAP 1.1 Binding for MTOM 1.0] [SOAP MTOM], in either case with a
> Content-type value of "multipart/related".
This last sentence seems mostly redundant to me now.

-Eric.