Re: Agenda for 2008-10-07

I thought it might help to try to make it clear as to what the "current"
TextMessage proposal is.    In the agenda below, Roland pointed to an
email of mine to the mailing list and since I sent that email out, we've
discussed various things related to TextMessage support.    So... this is
my understanding relative to what is currently on the table.

Overview:
- We will not be introducing any changes to the URI spec.
- The binding spec will be updated to state that the message sending node
MUST send either a BytesMessage or a TextMessage.    The determination of
whether the message sending node uses a TextMessage or BytesMessage would
be left to the vendor implementation.  I think we decided to introduce a
WSDL property ("messageType") for both WSDL 1.1 and 2.0 which can be used
in a manner similar to other WSDL properties.
- The binding spec will be updated to state that the message receiving
node MUST support both BytesMessage and TextMessage and MUST respond with
the same type of message that was received for the request (respond in
kind).

Details:
1) In section 2.4 (The JMS Message Body), we should re-word the first
sentence as follows:
The contents of the JMS Message body MUST be the SOAP payload as a JMS
BytesMessage or TextMessage.   The means for determining whether a
BytesMessage or TextMessage is used is vendor-specific.

2) In section 2.6.1.1, the second sentence should read something like:
"The message MUST be created as a JMS BytesMessage or TextMessage as
defined in 2.4 The JMS Message Body."

3) In section 2.6.2.3, the third sentence should read something like: "If
the request message is a TextMessage, then the response message MUST be a
TextMessage.   If the request message is a BytesMessage, then the response

message MUST be a BytesMessage."

4) In section 2.7.1, the second sentence should read: "The message MUST be

created as a JMS BytesMessage or a TextMessage as defined in 2.4 The JMS
Message Body."

5) I believe there is enough support within the group to introduce a
property within the WSDL called "messageType" which could be set to
TEXT to indicate a TextMessage or BYTES to indicate a BytesMessage. This
change would apply to both WSDL 1.1 and WSDL 2.0.

6) I think we also agreed (although the discussion was short) to mention
something in the binding spec about the need to do base64-encoding of
binary MIME parts if a MIME multi-part message is going to be inserted
into a TextMessage.

7) We also discussed the performance implications of doing
base64-encoding, including the memory implications, and IIRC we talked
about adding some words to the binding spec to warn vendors about this
issue.

Phil Adams
WebSphere Development - Web Services
IBM Austin, TX
email: phil_adams@us.ibm.com
office: (512) 838-6702  (tie-line 678-6702)
mobile: (512) 750-6599