Re: [SOAP-JMS] minutes 2008-05-20

Hi Eric,
Good description of the various pieces of the puzzle...

Looking at your diagram, let's suppose  that "C" represents the "client
runtime" and "G" represents the "server runtime".      "A" would represent
a client application that is trying to interact with application "I" in
some way (i.e. "I" could be a web service that's housed in a Java EE
container, for example).    You may not have intended for your diagram to
be that specific, but let's just label it that way for the sake of
discussion.     At a minimum, I think we have to test "C" and "G".     "C"
would have to conform to the "Requesting SOAP Node" requirements described
in the spec and "G" would have to conform to the "Responding SOAP Node"
requirements.      A vendor will likely have an implementation that
includes both "C" and "G" (i.e. both the client and server runtime
components).      So, I think we agree on basically *where* the testing
should occur.    The question might just be *how* we test for conformance.
     Amy suggested that we test C and G at the JMS API level to ensure
that C and G call the "correct" JMS APIs.    And I think I'm suggesting
that instead of doing that, we should test C by inserting a mocked up impl
of G that would receive the JMS message produced by C and verify it (by
using the JMS APIs to retrieve properties from the message and verify the
values, etc.).      Likewise, I'm suggesting that we should test G by
providing a mocked up impl of C that produces messages that are then
received by G and processed.    C would receive reply messages from G (for
two-way operations at least) and would verify them (again by using the JMS
APIs to retrieve properties, etc.).

If two conforming implementations need to interoperate, they would at
least need to use the same JMS provider.   So, for example, C could be
provided by vendor1, and G could be provided by vendor2.   And D and F
need to be the same JMS provider (I'm not considering the case where we
bridge between two messaging engines... that's cheating :) ).        In
this situation, we could independently test vendor1's and vendor2's
conformance using the approach above and that would ensure that vendor1's
impl of C and vendor2's impl of G would interoperate, assuming that they
are using a common JMS provider.        I'm not sure what we're saying
relative to the selection of JMS providers and whether vendors need to be
able to run with any JMS provider, etc... but I would think that any sort
of compliance statement made by a vendor would include a discussion of the
particular JMS providers upon which their implementations will run.

I think we're agreeing more than we're disagreeing here, unless of course
I mis-interpretted your diagram :)

Phil Adams
WebSphere Development - Web Services
IBM Austin, TX
email: phil_adams@us.ibm.com
office: (512) 838-6702  (tie-line 678-6702)
mobile: (512) 750-6599

Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
Sent by: public-soap-jms-request@w3.org
05/22/2008 03:59 PM

Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>, public-soap-jms@w3.org
cc

Subject
Re: [SOAP-JMS] minutes 2008-05-20

Hmmm, I've been puzzling over this, trying to figure out what the right
answer is, as the messages scroll by.

Naturally enough, I pretty much agree with my co-worker Amy.  The only way
we can test conformance is via the JMS APIs.  I think this discussion has
accidentally veered into quite interesting territory - as near as I can
tell, we may not be arguing about *how* to test conformance, per-se, but
about *where* we test for conformance, or, more formally, what are the
conformance targets of the specification?

Doing a really bad ASCII diagram, suppose my use case is a Java service
using SCA or JAX-WS to send a message to a remote SCA or JAX-WS Java
client, using SOAP over JMS.

(A)Applicaton --> (B)data binding layer --> (C)SOAP processing stack -->
(D) JMS provider client -->  (E) JMS server --> (F) JMS provider client
--> (G) SOAP processing stack --> (H) data binding --> (I) Application

If I follow this correctly, I believe Phil is arguing that we test for
conformance between (F) & (G), and only there.  Whereas, I think Amy and
(now) I are arguing that we should also test between (C) & (D).

I think there are two reasons for this.  One reason comes from an
assumption hidden above, which is that there may not be any step (G).
We've gone through great pains in the specification to make certain
characteristics of a SOAP message visible as properties of the message
itself, so, for example, listeners could set up filters on the server
looking for certain properties on the message.  So testing for conformance
at "F" is actually too late - by the time that a message has arrived at
"F", the properties already need to be set on the message.  However, since
everything that happens between entering (D), and leaving (F) is
proprietary, we have no way to test what goes on there.

The second problem comes from the notion of a conforming SOAP stack - does
it get to make assumptions about using extensions to the JMS API?  That
is, do we expect that the conforming SOAP stack will need to work with
*any* JMS provider, so almost by definition, the only portable way it can
work is via straight JMS APIs.  We can postulate the existence of a SOAP
stack that happens to know how to take advantage of some proprietary
extension from vendor X, maybe for performance or security or some such
thing.  Just for a completely made-up example, I could extend the JMS API
to somehow "secure" the value of the properties that I set on a message,
but to do so, I have to call a vendor API, not one of the standard ones.

If that's the kind of scenario that Phil is trying to address, I that
leaves us with a question.  When we test at the point between C & D, how
do we do it?  I can think of three approaches:
Write a "mock" JMS provider - messages never go anywhere, but can be
checked for correctness
Write a JMS provider that wraps another JMS provider with pure JMS APIs.
Extend the above with the use of dynamic proxies, so that we can pass
along calls to proprietary methods to the underlying implementation.
Require SOAP stacks going through conformance testing to provide a hook,
whereby the message they're about to send can be checked.
The first two approaches would prevent any conformance test target from
detecting and using extension APIs, and thus would verify, even for a
vendor that happens to support extensions from specific providers, that
they would also happen to be conformant.  I also came to the conclusion
that the dynamic proxies approach would likely be complicated, and
probably still fail.  The wrapped JMS provider approach might work, but
I've not considered the scope of work there.  The "hook" approach would be
straightforward, but it intrudes on the SOAP/JMS provider stack.

-Eric.

Phil Adams wrote:

Ok, I might be in the minority here, and that's fine if I am... but I
disagree that we should be dictating the actual API calls that should be
invoked in the JMS API by a conforming implementation.    If you want to
talk about the fact that a conforming implementation should add string
property "A" to the request message and that the values for "A" should be
X/Y/Z/whatever, then that's fine, but I don't think it's correct to say
that the conforming implementation MUST call the
javax.jms.Message.setStringProperty("A",<value>) method within the JMS API
layer to set the value.    I'm not taking this position because my
implementation doesn't use the JMS API (in fact it does use it), but I
know of other implementations that might want to "conform" but do not use
the JMS API per se.

In order to test a conforming implementation, the robotic
"conformance-checking" message consumer (for example) could receive the
JMS message, and (using the JMS API) could retrieve the various properties
from the JMS message and verify that they are set correctly, etc.     But
that does not, in and of itself, require the conforming implementation to
call specific JMS APIs in order to produce such a request message, does
it?        If the "conformance-checking" message consumer were to use the
JMS API to validate the request message sent by the implementation's
message producer component (client runtime), it would be validating the
message from the JMS API standpoint and would not be validating things at
the wire-format level, right?

Maybe the fact that we're disagreeing on this somewhat basic issue is an
indication that we (as a group) need to precisely define what we mean by
"SOAP/JMS Interoperability" :)

Phil Adams
WebSphere Development - Web Services
IBM Austin, TX
email: phil_adams@us.ibm.com
office: (512) 838-6702  (tie-line 678-6702)
mobile: (512) 750-6599

Amelia A Lewis <alewis@tibco.com>
Sent by: public-soap-jms-request@w3.org
05/22/2008 12:30 PM

Phil Adams/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
cc
SOAP/JMS (list) <public-soap-jms@w3.org>
Subject

On 2008-05-22 12:10:14 -0400 Phil Adams <phil_adams@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Well, does the SOAP/JMS spec really dictate which JMS APIs must be
> called by
> a conforming runtime?    It specifies, as an example,  the set of
> properties
> that must be set on the JMS message and the associated behavior, etc.
> but it
> doesn't say which APIs must be called by the conforming
> implementation to
> achieve that, nor should it in my opinion.

I have to disagree.

While vendors may supply other APIs to manipulate information provided
by their implementation, including the API-level information, the
*only* definition that we have, interoperably, is via the
published/standardized JMS API.

Consequently, manipulation of JMS Headers and Properties is, defacto,
reference to specific JMS API methods.  It can't be anything *but*
that, because that's the only bit that we all agree to interoperate
over.

Complexity kills.  It might be nice to have a conformance suite that
(somehow, via configuration/environment/command line switches/magic)
adapts to the proprietary extensions of each implementation, but we
*cannot specify that*.  I mean, IBM could, for their stuff, and Sun
for theirs, and TIBCO for ours, but the only thing that we all agree
on is JMS API.

Consequently ... our conformance suite ought do *everything* related
to JMS via JMS APIs.

If our specification of SOAP/JMS is not defined via the JMS API, then
it isn't defined, interoperably.

> The reason being that some
> implementations might not actually use the official JMS API to
> construct
> these messages.      The messages themselves are the interoperability
> point
> and not the actual APIs that were called to produce and consume them,
> right?

Absolutely *not*.  Only the API is defined.  "Message" here presumably
means wire format, in some fashion; that's *undefined* for JMS (each
vendor has a specification, certainly, but I don't believe that there
are two vendors who share one).

If it doesn't mean wire format, what does it mean?  If we're basing
our specification on the definition of message, where is that
definition specified?  I contend that it's only specified via the JMS
API specification, which means, effectively, via JMS API calls.

Amy!
--
Amelia A. Lewis
Senior Architect