RE: [SOAP-JMS] minutes 2008-05-20

[snipped attachments]

On 2008-05-22 09:52:16 -0400 Phil Adams <phil_adams@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> "or perhaps we should develop two components, a "conformance checkin
> responder app" and a "conformance checking  requesting app" that
> simpldrive
> the binding implementations."
>
> That's one of the options I was referring to on Tueday's call.
> We could
> develop those "conformance-checking apps" to verify each side of the
> producer/consumer "connection", and - at least in the case of where
> we're
> verifying the compliance of the vendor's message producer component
> (i.e.
> client runtime) - we'd also need to develop some sort of web service
> application that exercises the client runtime and causes the desired
> SOAP
> messages to be produced by that client runtime, etc.

Errrrrmmmmmm.  Complexity kills.

I'd recommend a minimalist approach, insofar as that is possible.
Some principles:

1) we define against an API.  Consequently any supplied code
    a) should use the API
    b) should not use the SPI
    c) should minimize use of any components outside the SDK

2) as I understand it, JMS is rarely deployed outside the firewall
    a) is that a misconception?
    b) if it is not, then are we going to be able to deploy a public
service?
    c) security, security, security ...

3) do we need a deployed application?
    a) see (2)
    b) implementors may prefer (strongly) to do internal conformance
testing before exposing their work to others (particularly true of
JMS, where the proprietary tradition is quite strong)

This leads me in the direction of suggesting not a web application or
public endpoint, but a downloadable conformance suite.

If standard JMS API calls + java.io can produce a "common serialized
format" from messages, I would recommend that we investigate doing
this.  The format would presumably contain not only the JMS message
body, but also headers/environmental information.  Conformance testing
would then involve: hooking up this serializer, and running a
comparison utility against the messages.  Modules sender, receiver,
serializer, verifier.  Data would then be a standard set of messages,
and the rules for verifying conformance.

This may be what you're suggesting.  If so, please forgive my
misunderstanding.

Amy!

--
Amelia A. Lewis