Re: Test assertion markups for SOAP/JMS spec completed

Greetings, an interesting subect. eric is correct in pointing out that the
work on a JMS Scheme in IETF has become a URI. And it is also the case
that conversion from an IRI to a URI is possible. What I think we will
need to do is decide where and when such an transformation takes place.

Regards, Roland
FBCS, CITP

Eric Johnson <eric@tibco.com>
Sent by: public-soap-jms-request@w3.org
18/06/2008 18:00

Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
cc
"SOAP/JMS (list)" <public-soap-jms@w3.org>
Subject
Re: Test assertion markups for SOAP/JMS spec completed

Hi Yves,

Yves Lafon wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Eric Johnson wrote:
>
>> Given Peter's complete run through, it appears that he noted several
>> editoral/content issues not related to testing.  Seems to me that we
>> should turn that into a list for us to resolve the issues, and or have
>> the editors apply changes.  So I thought it useful to put together the
>> following:
>>
>> Editorial changes:
>>  *  Document refers to IRI scheme instead of URI throughout.  Should be
>>     changed to URI. Sections 1.1, 1.5, 2.2, 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 2.2.3, 2.2.4,
>>     2.2.5, 2.3, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4.1, 3.4.5, 3.5,
>>  *  Section 1.1: Third bullet currently reads "The IRI specification
for
>>     ..." -- suggestion to change to "How the SOAP over JMS uses the
[URI
>>     Scheme for JMS]."
>
> Are you sure you want to restrict to URIs only? In SOAP 1.2 [1], IRIs
> are allowed (provided they are encoded in form of URIs). What forbid
> using IRIs at a higher level, then encode in URI when needed ?
I think we're in complete agreement here.  The folks over at IETF
corrected our original use of IRI instead of URI for the "jms" scheme.
They pointed out that the IETF only supports registration of URIs, not
IRIs.  So we renamed that specification to be about the "jms" URI, not
the "jms" IRI.  You can, of course, use an IRI representation of the
equivalent URI wherever it might be supported.  The above two points are
specifically about the editorial change to properly refer to the JMS URI
scheme.

One question for me is that we certainly *can* allow the use of IRIs,
but we perhaps need to decide whether we generally want to use IRIs
everywhere we can.  The JMS message API of course uses Java Strings, and
thus is not subject to byte encoding issues, so an IRI can be carried
without problems by JMS.

Pouring over section 3.2.17 of XML Schema datatypes
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#anyURI), I find it very difficult to
suss out whether, in WSDL, I can put the IRI form of a URI wherever WSDL
expects xsd:anyURI.  It doesn't seem like it.

-Eric.

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.