Re: WS-Addressing

Hi Mark,
With regard to using WS-Addressing along with SOAP/JMS, there's no
guarantee that a SOAP/JMS-conforming runtime will support WS-Addressing.
In fact, there may be some vendor runtimes that support the SOAP/JMS spec,
but are not what we would normally think of as web service runtimes, and
so it would not make sense for them to support WS-Addressing per se.

Having said that, I don't believe that the SOAP/JMS spec is in conflict
with WS-Addressing at all.     If a sending SOAP node (i.e. runtime that
supports the web service consumer) sends out a SOAP request message to a
JMS destination, the spec requires that the JMSReplyTo header is set to
the destination where the reply message should be sent.    This would be
"equivalent" to the WS-Addressing "replyToEPR" value in the SOAP header.
In other words, the replyToEPR value would be a jms-style endpoint URL
string that refers to the reply destination.     Although I don't think
this particular scenario has been discussed in the SOAP/JMS working group,
I suppose if the WS-Addressing component running in the sending SOAP node
wants to specify an HTTP-based replyToEPR, then it would be up to the
runtime to *not* set the JMSReplyTo value in the JMS request message
(since the reply will not be sent to a JMS destination), and the receiving
SOAP node would need to honor the replyToEPR value in the WS-Addressing
SOAP header.

If the SOAP request message contains a faultTo value in the WS-Addressing
SOAP header, then the receiving SOAP node (i.e. runtime that supports the
web service provider/endpoint) should support that if it is in fact
conforming to WS-Addressing.    But I don't see that the SOAP/JMS spec
should necessarily discuss that.     The fact that the vendor runtime
might also support WS-Addressing in addition to SOAP/JMS is an issue which
is seperate and distinct from the SOAP/JMS spec itself, IMHO.

Phil Adams
WebSphere Development - Web Services
IBM Austin, TX