possible SML use cases

I've exchanged email with Jim Lynn and he thought that these looked
like interesting use cases but suggested I post them to this list to
get a better feel for their applicability.

So here they are.  Thoughts are welcome.

Ken

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ken Laskey <klaskey@mitre.org>
> Date: September 15, 2007 8:45:27 AM EDT
> To: "Lynn, James (HP Software)" <james.lynn@hp.com>
> Subject: Re: Meeting minutes: 2007-09-14
>
> Jim,
>
> I don't know a lot about SML and have not had a chance to read the
> spec since a pre-Submission draft but I'm interested in what its
> use might be in several scenarios:
>
> 1. I send a request to a data access service asking for values for
> certain properties, where I specify the vocabulary in which the
> property semantics are defined.  The data access service finds
> appropriate data sources and sends me back a response.  But a bare
> response with the values is of limited use if I don't know where
> those values came from or how information was processed to generate
> those values.  it is especially a problem if I make the request
> again next week and can't guarantee repeatability.  Could SML be
> used as a logging mechanism to tell me unambiguously how the values
> were generated?  Could I later submit that log and have the process
> re-executed?
>
> 2. In the OASIS SOA Reference Model, the following is defined and
> discussed
>
> The execution context of a service interaction is the set of
> infrastructure elements, process entities, policy assertions and
> agreements that are identified as part of an instantiated service
> interaction, and thus forms a path between those with needs and
> those with capabilities.
>
> Is SML a reasonable means by which to capture the execution context?
>
> Thanks for helping to pull some pieces together.
>
> Ken
>
> On Sep 15, 2007, at 8:30 AM, Lynn, James (HP Software) wrote:
>
>> Ivan et al,
>>
>> I am an editor on the SML WG. Just as an fyi for your group, this
>> is SML 1.1, we are scheduled to release Second Public Working
>> Draft next week.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jim

-----
Ken Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305      phone: 703-983-7934
7151 Colshire Drive                         fax:       703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508