From: Wilson, Kirk D
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 8:47 AM
To: 'Smith, Virginia (HP Software)'
Subject: RE: SMLIF inter-document reference proposal

Regarding Ginny’s point #2, I recall a brief discussion (in response to question I asked) on the topic of SML-IF validation at the Toronto F2F (morning of 29 Aug):

Kirk: not sure why the consumer of SMLIF should go through all this validation since the SMLIF schema validation has been done already

MSM: requires associations between the SMLIF instance documents with the schema instances, as the producer had intended to

(My personal notes of MSM’s answer was that it was to insure interoperability, and I guess the operative phrase here is “as the producer had intended”.)  Unpacking and “adjusting” interdoc references may lessen the assurance that the producer’s “intentions” are being followed.  But I, too, wonder why we would need to go down to the fragment level-isn’t it enough to insure the presence of the document that the producer intended?

I would agree with Ginny’s third point-the “unresolved SML reference” should be “unresolved interdocument reference”.  (By the way, as I read the proposal, it was addressing those interdocument references that happen to be URI references according to RFC 3986.  A “specialization” of vocabulary rather than a change of terminology.  I think going to the more general term “interdocument  reference” in this case is more appropriate than “unresolved URI reference.”)

Kirk Wilson, Ph.D.
Research Staff Member

CA Labs

603 823-7146