RE: [w3c sml] Action 108 - tracking bugs

Sure, if we defined update review process to be part of the needsAgreement
process then editorial+review would be redundant.  I was assuming we were
using a schema-like model where we arrived at ideological consensus
through discussion and at that point the transition into editorial
happened (and even in Schema, if I heard right not all editorials actually
come back to the group for review so the same bifurcation occurs).  If
drafting all the changes is part of needsAgreement, that makes it sound
like the editor(s) just cut and paste ... which I think is a gross
oversimplification vs current reality, no?  Or am I thinking of it too
black/white, and the needsAgreement phase gets it say 80% there but the
editor when incorporating the agreed to ideas is expected to look for
other areas of the spec that need to be hit (like the "schema profile"
case, where a section got removed but another half dozen similar bits of
text live on to mislead readers)?  We can do it pretty much any way as
long as we are all working off the same understanding.
I am positive with some of the changes in the pipe like aligning with
Schema terminology that we will need to carefully review some changes.
Their terms are a complete world unto themselves, and what looks like a
simple immaterial improvement can drastically alter the semantics.

Best Regards, John

Street address: 2455 South Road, Poughkeepsie, NY USA 12601
Voice: 1+845-435-9470      Fax: 1+845-432-9787

"Smith, Virginia (HP Software)" <virginia.smith@hp.com>
08/24/2007 01:53 PM

John Arwe/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, <public-sml@w3c.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [w3c sml] Action 108 - tracking bugs

The original intent was to leave the requirement for review up to the
editor after making an editorial change.

I think a key point here is that anyone may be asked to come up with
proposed text, not just editors.

My preference is that, in the case where the group wants to see some text
before approving, it is not really an 'editorial' task. Anyone in the
group with the appropriate expertise could be asked to come up with
proposed text that explains a point. (I believe we've asked non-editors to
do this a few times already.) This person should be assigned the bug while
it is still in 'needsAgreement'. Then after the text is submitted and
agreed upon by the group, it is moved to 'editorial'. In my mind, an
editorial task is a editing task where that task is reasonably
well-defined. The editor still has the option to move it to needsReview if
he/she feels verification is needed before resolving.

We could still have an 'editorialWithReview' keyword. This could cover an
in-between case.

--
ginny