Re: What if Silver didn't have levels?

> WebAIM found that 97% of the million most popular websites on the web
have Level A and AA fails.

So, in other words, 3% met our current definition of conformant, which,
when expressed as a percentile equals "100%" WCAG 2.0 conformance, which
according to Léonie should also be a score we consider equal to useable.

But of the remaining 97% of those sites, how many are truly horrible? How
many are bad, or fair, or not too bad? If one site of those 97% failed due
to a color contrast issue (alone), then I suspect that the offending site
would remain a functional 100% usable for screen reader users, but would
still end up on Jared's fail list, and would still  be failing some users.

I will continue  to suggest then that usable cannot equal 100%, because
Jared has proven beyond debate that in a pass/fail world, most sites fail.

I wonder aloud then, of that 97% collection of sites evaluated and deemed
"failures", how many were usable, even if not fully conformant? How many
were, in aggregate, mighty well done, except for maybe 2 missing alt texts
(from 500 images in total) and had poor focus indication in the footer
(alone)? If usable isn't the same as perfect (100%), then what should
usable equal? Or, if "flawed but usable" = 100%, then what does perfect
equal? 150%? (something of an oxymoron)

There isn't a tonne of light between Léonie and I in our goals, I simply
would like to see a realist number, something less than perfect, be a
minimal score, below which we all can collectively agree "not good enough".

But at the same time regretably, sometimes "good enough" (or "Good enough
for government work" as a good friend often says <grin>) has to be an
answer; that in a real and flawed world we must accept a little water with
our wine, because the alternative is a list of 1 million sites that,
according to our current conformance model, suggests 97% aren't
"accessible", even though for many users - including many users with
differing disabilities - they'll still likely find quite usable, even while
still potentially looking up and saying, "Really good, but..."

(I'll also suggest that "useable" as a means of measurement is subjective,
which also concerns me...)

JF

(Sent from my mobile, apologies for any spelling mistakes)