Re: What if Silver didn't have levels?

Am 16.10.2019 um 10:44 schrieb Alastair Campbell:
> I still think (but haven't had time to work on this) that it would be best to start at 100 and take away points for barriers, but in either direction I think Silver should set a base level.
>
> It would also be important to have some guidelines (e.g. flashes) that instantly limit your score to under the level, they have to be dealt with to get to that passing level.

That was more or less the approach we had in the German BITV-Test before
we aligned it fully to the binary pass/fail WCAG conformance approach in
March this year. In the old scheme, there was a 5 point lickert scale
rating subtracting points from a starting score of 100, less for minor
issues, and full points for critical issues. SCs / checkpoints were
weighted, e.g. you could lose 3 points for failing 2.1.1 Keyboard, but
only one point for failing 3.1.2 Language of parts.

The test set the level of 95 (of 100 points) as "highly accessible" and
90 points (of 100) as "accessible". To prevent showstopper issues from
passing in otherwise good results, there was a mechanism for deprecating
the entire test result, so even if the overall result was be above 90,
when there was a serious issue (CAPTCHA without alternative, keyboard
trap, important navigation element without accName) the site would not
be called "accessible".

We had quite a biut of critique for this approach over the years, but
also the recognition (by others) that the result reflected the degree of
overall accessibility achieved better than a pass / fail result.

Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
Testkreis

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites