Re: thoughts points system for silver

Am 19.07.2019 um 22:44 schrieb Frederick Boland:
> Need to be careful that model does not get too complicated or
> difficult to implement - if it is hard to use or understand no matter
> how complete it is people will tend not to follow it.  Also model
> implementation and testing needs to be accessible as well

I strongly agree with the point Frederick is making.

All scoring systems proposed so far (including second currency, ribbons
etc) seem a *lot* more complex then what we have now - both in their
eventual application as well as in terms of explaining / understanding
what the resulting score means.

I think it is important to be able to conduct a valid conformance
evaluation and arrive at a meaningful score reflecting the object under
test without the need for user tests.

The results of task-based methods, if used, should be captured in a way
that can be verified independently of any specific method. Example: A
complex navigation forcing a sighted keyboard user in a user test to
traverse endless submenus may result in a bad score. BUT the result can
also be expressed as navigation distance (e.g. number of tabs needed to
arrive at content) which could also be arrived at in heuristic testing.
The link to 2.4.1 is obvious - so this might become a 2.4.1 task-based
method that can be quantified (and its result be verified independent of
particular users). Such a test might be combined with the headings- or
landmark method of conforming to 2.4.1 so in Silver: they alone may no
longer be sufficient to meet 2.4.1 or the Silver equivalent (since they
do little for the average keyboard user).

BTW The three levels (automatic=1, manual=2, user test=3) mentioned
under complexity of testing seem a bit misleading since most automatic
tests require a second human step to complete or verify the automatic
assessment.

Information on organisational behaviour, culture, sustainable practices
and the like is desirable but in my view, belongs to a different strata
and cannot be quantified easily. And quality is an obvious issue, as
noted by others. Whether we call that ribbons, stars or whatever is not
important. The issue is that merging that strata  and a score based on
verifiable tests into *one* currency creates a fudge even if some
required minimum level across 9 (or 4?) functional needs may somehow be
established. It will be very complex to create such an overall score, to
justify it, and to explain what it means. People may perceive it as so
complex and arbitrary that they may cease to give any credence to such a
compound conformance statement.

There will be many situations of a11y evaluation where testers will have
no access to information on accessibility / usability evaluations and
tests that may have been used (possibly by 3rd parties) in the design
phase, during development, or in acceptance testing. A conformance model
should be robust enough to be used in contexts when no such information
is available to evaluators.

To sum up: I believe it is crucial for any score to be potentially
verifiable independent of the specific tests (heuristic, user test or
whatever) that were carried out. What matters is the evident
accessibility of the site for the user at the point of use - not what
the organisation has done (or claims to have done) to test (and in turn
improve) it.

Please let us keep it as simple as possible.

Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
Testkreis

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites