Re: Heuristic testing

Hi Alastair,

I am the author of that document and a participant in several conversations around it.
I agree with nearly everything you stated. We had already decided that this method would not be solely or specifically recommended. We also tossed around the idea of recommending a Cognitive Walkthrough instead, since this method is task-based. There has been no conclusion on specific testing and evaluation methods. However, I feel it is still incredibly important to identify and recommend some specific human evaluation methods that can account for functional needs.

While I also concede that there may be incremental cost in evaluation for some authors for some types of content, I don’t believe it would result in any undue burden. The general idea would simply be to encourage practices that go beyond the minimum, but not require them.

As mentioned in other threads on the topic of the proposed conformance model or measurability, simply conducting an evaluation (regardless of method) would not be sufficient. The implementation of change based on the result of that evaluation is what is important. An author should not achieve a greater conformance level by simply conducting an evaluation. The dots would have to be connected to a result. We don’t yet have a great example of how this could work in a way that considers all of the functional needs. For example, if the author achieves the lowest score and level of conformance, and then conducts additional evaluation methods, discovers issues, resolves those issues, and theoretically achieves a higher score, that score should not achieve a higher level of conformance if the evaluation had only considered the functional need of “cannot see the content” and neglects all other functional needs.

Having the guidelines cite some specific evaluation methods should also not be specific to conformance. Again, the idea is to encourage practices and not just encourage higher scores. Considering and testing for and with different functional needs should not be limited to the end of a design process.

I think we all agree that this is complicated and it should not come at the cost of any users.

I would love to hear your opinion on a Cognitive Walkthrough or other methods.

Charles Hall // Senior UX Architect

charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com<mailto:charles.hall@mrm-mccann.com?subject=Note%20From%20Signature>
w 248.203.8723
m 248.225.8179
360 W Maple Ave, Birmingham MI 48009
mrm-mccann.com<https://www.mrm-mccann.com/>

[MRM//McCann]
Relationship Is Our Middle Name

Ad Age Agency A-List 2016, 2017, 2019
Ad Age Creativity Innovators 2016, 2017
Ad Age B-to-B Agency of the Year 2018
North American Agency of the Year, Cannes 2016
Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant 2017, 2018, 2019
Most Creatively Effective Agency Network in the World, Effie 2018, 2019