Re: Costs of testing with Silver

Hey all,
Moving this discussion back a bit again. The basis for my question still
doesn't seem to have come across very well. So here it is put in different
terms.

Most countries do not have legal requirements to develop accessible
websites. In many cases web accessibility is effectively voluntary. This
has been true in the Netherlands (where I'm based) so I'll speak from that.
But most of Europe looks like this too. Anne and Alastair, also based in
Europe, have confirmed as much in their e-mails.

The organisations I'm especially concerned about are smaller organisations
that have their websites developed externally. They have three options when
it comes to accessibility.
1) They trust the web developer to make the site accessible.
2) They have someone internally learn enough about accessibility to test
the site
3) They hire an external expert to do a one-time test of the website.

In reverse order. 3) When I started testing WCAG 2.0 instead of WCAG 1.0,
prices went up. Significant enough that small organisations stopped having
their sites tested. These are organisations in the 10 - 50 employees range.
WCAG 2.0 testing is costly enough that those organisations couldn't afford
it anymore. That left them #2 and #1. Seeing is they couldn't build their
own website, learning enough about accessibility that they can test isn't
really an option. We can "plain language" Silver all we want, in the end it
does involve starting up a few screen readers and being familiar enough
with them that you can do basic testing.

That only leaves option #1, ask developers to make sites accessible and
hope they can do it. That's not a thing that worked either. In research
that the Dutch government did they looked at all self declarations of
accessibility that Dutch municipalities did. Out of all of them, only a
single one turned out to be valid.

The costs of testing WCAG 2.0 has lead to disability advocacy organisations
to stop having their sites tested for accessibility. It sounds like Anne
has seen the same happen in Denmark. We can't pretend that costs don't
matter. Web accessibility is voluntary for the majority of the world. If we
can't come up with an entry level that is affordable even for small
businesses, those businesses just aren't ever going to look at
accessibility.

I'm not advocating that we ignore the needs of some people. None of this
means we have to ignore the needs of people with disabilities. What it
might mean is that we ignore the needs of some developers to have their
edge cases. We may also add some requirements that simplify how things are
tested. For instance, don't skip heading levels, and make sure links to the
same page have the same link text. Or that within a form / fieldset, all
form fields have a unique name. There are things we can do at the start
level so that we can move some of the more resource-intensive testing to a
higher level.

There is an absolutely massive discrepancy between how much time it takes
to see if a site is mostly accessible, and testing a site using WCAG. Most
experts can look at a site for 5 minutes and tell you if that site has
structural accessibility issues. It takes another 2 days of testing to
decide if that site conforms to WCAG-EM. Two days is enough time to build a
simple website. We really should be able to come up with a testing approach
that doesn't require more time to test a site than it does to build it.

Wilco

--
*Wilco Fiers*
Senior Accessibility Engineer - Co-facilitator WCAG-ACT - Chair Auto-WCAG