From: Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com> on behalf of Jeanne Spellman <jspellman@spellmanconsulting.com>
Date: Friday, November 3, 2017 at 11:07 AM
To: Silver Task Force <public-silver@w3.org>
Subject: Minutes of Silver TF teleconference of 3 November 2017

Formatted minutes of meeting:

https://www.w3.org/2017/11/03-silver-minutes.html

Text of minutes:

[1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                    Silver Task Force Teleconference

Attendees

   Present

          MichaelC, JanMcSorley, Jemma, jeanne, Josie, Michael,

          Jennison

   Regrets

          Shawn, Sharri

   Chair

          jeanne

   Scribe

          Jan

Contents

     * [2]Topics

         1. [3]NcNally Survey Analysis

         2. [4]Tyson survey questions

         3. [5]Pete McNally Survey Analysis

     * [6]Summary of Action Items

     * [7]Summary of Resolutions

NcNally Survey Analysis

Tyson survey questions

   [8]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOauw

   9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

      [8] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOauw9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

   <jeanne> jeanne: The questions are directly from our research

   questions and seem like the language is too technical for a

   survey. I doubt that teachers would want to answer it.

   <jeanne> Ryan: They should make it more personal. Like "what

   tools do you use to evaluate accessibility?"

   <jeanne> Jan: I think most teachers will not know who the W3C

   is. I think Tyson is targeting Computer Science majors and

   teachers, but I think it would be helpful to get answers from

   students with disabilities.

   <jeanne> ... please comment on the document. I'll meet with him

   at 10:00AM.

   [9]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOauw

   9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

      [9] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOauw9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

Pete McNally Survey Analysis

   <jeanne>

   [10]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s__XoEMsuUpsmE48GTE3nUN

   _ERL9UmXfPR_UoCPYxlY/edit?userstoinvite=christopher.loiselle@pe

   rkins.org&ts=59fba970&actionButton=1#heading=h.q6e5fx7mb3iw

     [10] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s__XoEMsuUpsmE48GTE3nUN_ERL9UmXfPR_UoCPYxlY/edit?userstoinvite=christopher.loiselle@perkins.org&ts=59fba970&actionButton=1#heading=h.q6e5fx7mb3iw

   We need to look at this document, agree on the conclusions and

   then create some slides for TPAC and then once we have agreed

   on everything, we will make this document public

   <jeanne> TPAC slide deck <-

   [11]https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eqUPEPxIH8AJZ8aVY3-

   vwGMH0sdrXhMG_JCQTp9PSy8/edit#slide=id.g29970d1a13_0_5

     [11] https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eqUPEPxIH8AJZ8aVY3-vwGMH0sdrXhMG_JCQTp9PSy8/edit#slide=id.g29970d1a13_0_5

   [12]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOau

   w9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y - Tyson

   McMillan research questions

     [12] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kWK-AJ1MTw9jnh8emitgOauw9tfH4EUAzx-rs9rxcxo/edit#heading=h.qv64wjyega4y

   Jeanne: We need feedback on the Pete McNally Report

   [13]https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s__XoEMsuUpsmE48GTE3nUN

   _ERL9UmXfPR_UoCPYxlY/edit?userstoinvite=christopher.loiselle@pe

   rkins.org&ts=59fba970&actionButton=1#heading=h.q6e5fx7mb3iw

     [13] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s__XoEMsuUpsmE48GTE3nUN_ERL9UmXfPR_UoCPYxlY/edit?userstoinvite=christopher.loiselle@perkins.org&ts=59fba970&actionButton=1#heading=h.q6e5fx7mb3iw

   Jeanne: Under platform focus - Silver has to pursue being

   hardware agnostic - need to look at the wording of this and

   massage it.

   ... look at the comment about some people working in

   environments where accessibility is not valued - do you agree

   or disagree?

   ... look at "what aspects are difficult to apply"

   <jemma> question was " How important is accessibility to your

   company/clients in creating an excellent user/customer

   experience? "

   Ryan: It's important to note in the report that these are the

   opinions of UX professionals surveyed.

   How can the W3C create good standards and work with other

   organizations to create educational resources?

   Jeanne: The W3C should look into how it can be a place that

   points people to the resources they need- if they need an

   example of an accessible carousel, then they could find links

   to some potential resources.

   ... Familiarity and Usefulness section is next

   ... we just have data to share here - not necessarily a

   conclusion

   Jemma: This implies that WCAG has authority, but not

   practicality

   Jeanne: Let's look at aspects that are "difficult to apply"

   Ryan: Mastery is an emotional issue. If people don't feel like

   they can master something, despite their best efforts, they can

   become angry.

   ... The concept of personal mastery is an emotional issue. If

   there is no sense of mastery, then there will be no emotional

   buy-in.

   Jemma: This might be a great topic for our interview research.

   ... We can be successful to certain degree, but if people

   experience barriers to mastery, they may determine

   accessibility cannot be achieved.

   Jeanne: We will not have meetings next week because too many

   people will be at TPAC

   ... Jan and Jeanne will work on this on Sunday to bring it to a

   presentable level

   ... if everyong could please make comments and help us with

   conclusions, then we can polish it off

   ... next meeting is on November 14th

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message.  Thank you very much.