Re: Profiles Ontology review by SHACL CG

Nicholas,

Personally, I found it hard to provide a meaningful review or answer questions about benefits without understanding what are the application profiles and profiles in general and how their descriptions may be used in practice.

I looked at https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/profiles/, but I did not feel it was sufficiently mature to give me the clarity needed to inform the review.

The examples in the ontology itself are simple statements, identifying a profile and saying that some guidance documents and a conformance test exist. As a human readable information, it is fine. However, the intention, I believe, is more than simply provide reference links to people looking for some artifacts. Is it correct? If so, then I believe more information (as per above) is needed in order to provide feedback.

If I am to focus only on the human readability, I found the use of dct:conformsTo in the example somewhat confusing. It seems to say that a resource with the role role:ConformanceTest conforms to SHACL. Is this correct? Or is the intention to say that the test is implemented in SHACL to test the conformance of something else (what is that something else? Some dataset?) to this profile. Of course, if a test is implemented in SHACL, then the test should be expected to conform to SHACL specification. However, for me, there was some cognitive overloading or dissonance here in the use of the term ‘conform’. I would prefer to see some other property.

I also wondered why for one object property (prof:isProfileOf), inverse and transitive properties were specified, but not for others.

Personally, I would prefer to see no inverses and no properties intend to hold transitive inferences since the goal here is to improve interoperability.

If some users will publish information using the inverses, then applications using this information will need to work harder to support the inferencing. This will introduce some obstacles to adoption. Which may be OK if there is some important value to be derived from this, but the value was not clear to me. And if there is an important value, is it limited to just this specific property? Why not inverse for prof:hasRole, for example? Or transitive alternatives for other properties such as prof:isInheretedFrom?

Regards,

Irene Polikoff