Re: Visualization of domain and range

Tim,

(sorry, somehow your message didn't make it to me ...)

> On 26/6/09 18:22, Tim rdf wrote:
>> [1] http://www.ifs.univie.ac.at/schandl/2009/06/domain+range_bad.png
>>
>> is indicating that
>>
>> foaf:holdsAccount rdfs:domain foaf:Agent; rdfs:range
>> foaf:OnlineAccount .
>>
>> Is constraining a property with BOTH a domain and range a good design
>> pattern? It seems rather short-sighted with respect to reuse and
>> extension.

Domain and range are no restrictions in that sense; rather they extend
the possible (!) interpretations of resources. Hence you don't say,
"you can use foaf:holdsAccount only with foaf:Agent and
foaf:OnlineAccount", but rather, "if something has a foaf:holdsAccount
property then you can interpret it as foaf:Agent, and the value of
this property can be interpreted as foaf:OnlineAccount".

IMO this is one of the greatest strengths of modelling with RDF(S) and
OWL.

Best, Bernhard