Re: SWUI workshop accepted at ISWC 2006

From: Sören Auer <auer@seas.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:31:59 -0400
To: public-semweb-ui@w3.org

Lloyd.Rutledge@cwi.nl wrote:
> The ISWC committee has accepted our Semantic Web User Interaction
> workshop proposal.

Congratulations!

With Powl [1] and recently OntoWiki (see [2] for a preliminary demo) I'm
developing with fellows two complementary UIs for the Semantic Web. From
my experience the current paradigm shift from static or dynamically
generated web pages towards interactive web applications could really
advance user interfaces for the Semantic Web and foster their larger
deployment. Conventional Web technologies do not support large data sets
to be handled at the client (browser) side. But this is usually needed
when working with larger knowledge bases. To overcome this limitation,
reloading of web pages becomes necessary. This approach is time
consuming and requires multiple user interactions. Recently, with the
deployment of more sophisticated Web browsers, supporting modern
JavaScript and XML technologies, mixed server and client side web
applications became possible (e.g. AJAX).
I would really appreciate if the workshop could contribute on employing
this paradigm shift for semantic web UIs, for example by:

* defining requirements for (dynamic) reusable widget sets for semantic
web UIs
* development strategies for the dynamic, interactive combination of
such widgets
* approaches and their comparison for domain independent ontology
presentation (e.g. Fresnel, Xenon etc.)
* presenting strategies to minimize required user interactions to
achieve certain goals (e.g. building a query, adding information etc.)

--Sören

[1] http://powl.sf.net
[2] http://3ba.se

Sören Auer - http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~auer +1 (610) 804-5142
University of Pennsylvania, Dep. of Computer & Inform. Science