Re: Ontologies versioning?

Yes, most OBO ontologies derive the version from the ISO-8601 of the
date. This is used in the versionIRI, e.g.
/obo/releases/YYYY-MM-DD/<artifact> and often in things like github
releases tags. See for example:

https://github.com/EnvironmentOntology/envo/releases

I like semver for software and can see it working well for schema-type
ontologies and upper ontologies.