From:   Renato Iannella <r@iannel.la>
To:     "its@lists.hl7.org" <its@lists.HL7.org>, w3c semweb HCLS
<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Date:   27/05/2016 09:13
Subject:        Re: FHIR on schema.org

> On 27 May 2016, at 11:09, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:

> I think it is important to distinguish two separate and orthogonal
concerns:
> 1. What data should be shared or exchanged?
> 2. What does the data mean?
> Security and privacy are all about #1 -- not #2.
> Schema.org and healthcare vocabularies address #2 -- not #1.

I don’t think that is the case. Schema.org's dual purpose is to "promote
schemas for structured data on web pages", so this includes the exchange
of such data as a key driver behind creating the terms on schema.org.

Hence, whether we like it or not, just specifying personal data as a
property in schema.org does not mean we can then not address how privacy
is handled. This is especially relevant for healthcare data.

My (other related) point is *why* do we need to create a set of schema.org
URIs for the same FHIR URIs ?

For example, we already have http://hl7.org/fhir/MedicationOrder

We do we now need (and maintain): http://schema.org/MedicationOrder

??

> They are all about creating a shared understanding of what the data
means, in order to achieve interoperability between parties that have
already decided to exchange data.

As an aside, look at the schema.org definition for a Physician:
  https://schema.org/Physician

I hope that is not shared too widely ;-)

Renato