Re: SQL to RDF access ?

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:52:01 -0400
To: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org
On 10/2/15 10:47 AM, Jerven Bolleman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Oracle, I think you can create a view on a select on sem_match. e.g.
>
> CREATE VIEW proteinOrganism AS
> SELECT p AS PROTEIN, o AS ORGANISM FROM TABLE(SEM_MATCH(
> 'PREFIX c:<http://purl.uniprot.org/core/> SELECT ?p ?o WHERE {?p a
> c:Protein . ?p c:organism ?o}',
> SEM_MODELS('UNIPROT_2015_08'), null, null, null));
>
> Something similar is possible in Virtuoso, and surely DB2
>
> In PostgreSQL, you could use
> https://github.com/cyga/www_fdw/wiki/Documentation
> to map sparql results into views.
>
> However, all will requires certain maintenance workloads.
>
> For the experimental stuff you could look at MonetDB/RDF or
> Virtuoso-CS (not yet public)
> http://homepages.cwi.nl/~duc/papers/emergentschema_www15.pdf
> <http://homepages.cwi.nl/%7Educ/papers/emergentschema_www15.pdf>
>
> Regards,
> Jerven

Virtuoso translates SPARQL to SQL at its core i.e., that's what Virtuoso
is, fundamentally.

Virtuoso also let's you leverage RDF Relations constructed from SPARQL
in the FROM CLAUSE of a SQL Query (we call this SPASQL, and it's existed
since day one).

Here is a simple SPASQL Query where an RDF relation is used in the SQL
FROM CLAUSE:

SELECT "x"."o"
FROM (SPARQL SELECT DISTINCT ?o  {?s rdf:type ?o} LIMIT 100) AS  "x"

Links:

[1] http://bit.ly/spasql-query-demo-entity-types -- Live instance of SQL
and/or SPARQL Query Tool

--