Re: Summary of Dec 16 HL7 ITS RDF Subgroup / W3C HCLS COI call: FHIR Ontology

Sorry for missing the call.  A few comments:

1. Source for the definition of the OWL/RDF-S/etc. needs to be the Profile
files - those are the source of truth.  The schemas are derived from them
and the profiles contain more information than the schemas do.  Generation
via off-the-shelf tools isn't a primary criteria as we'll build in support
for RDF/OWL/whatever into the reference implementations and we've already
foregone using off-the-shelf conversion tools for XML/JSON in order to
allow more "appealing" XML and JSON syntaxes.  (Conversion code gets
written once, but instances are dealt with every day.)

2. Conversion of XML/JSON through RDF back to XML/JSON must be lossless.
In theory we could tolerate a lossy conversion of RDF to XML/JSON, but I
have a strong preference for not doing that.  We don't want there to be any
barriers to people converting formats as they need.  If there's extra
information needed, it should be at the Profile/OWL/class structure level,
not at the instance level.

I've added a few comments to the wiki requirements page too.

Lloyd McKenzie

+1-780-993-9501

Note: Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the opinions and positions
expressed in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect those of my clients nor
those of the organizations with whom I hold governance positions.