Re: [bioportal-announce] NCBO BioPortal 4.0 Released

On 9/25/13 10:49 PM, Ray Fergerson wrote:

> We are very happy to finally announce, after a year of planning and
> development work, the release of the reengineering of BioPortal.
> Because this is a huge change we care labeling this release BioPortal 4.0.
>
> The primary distinguishing feature of this release is the replacement
> of several backend storage and caching mechanisms with a single
> triple-store based backend built with on the open source 4store
> platform.  In addition we are simultaneously releasing a new version
> of the BioPortal REST API. This API is also built on top of the triple
> store. It provides a much more uniform and REST-full interface to the
> underlying BioPortal data than our previous REST API.
>
> The old API will continue to function through the end of 2013. This
> API will only be able to access "old content" (that is, ontologies
> submitted or updated before today).  We encourage API users to
> transition as quickly as possible to the new API. The new API is the
> only way to access both new content (submitted after today) and old
> content. The reports from beta users of the new API have been
> uniformly positive.  Draft documentation for the new API is available at
>
> http://data.bioontology.org/documentation
>
> BioPortal users will note a few changes from the previous version.
> Some of these changes are temporary (we didn't quite get everything
> done...) while others are permanent. There are also a number of minor
> and cosmetic changes. The list of the more important changes is
> available below.
>
> With a release of this size, it is inevitable that some bugs have
> crept in. Please report any that you run across to the
> support@bioontology.org <mailto:support@bioontology.org> mailing list.
> Have confidence that we will be working diligently to prioritize and
> fix the problems that arise.
>
> The NCBO Team
>
> --------------------------
>
> Temporary Changes
>
> -All handling of obsolete classes in UI and API is not supported yet.
> Obsolete classes are currently indistinguishable from normal classes.
>
> -"Slices" and ontology sets (user defined lists of ontologies of
> interest) are not supported yet
>
> -The tree browse UI does not yet distinguish between is-a and part-of
> relations for OBO ontologies. Previously (and probably in the future)
> icons next to the class name indicated the relationship type.
>
> -We do not yet have a VM version for this release. We expect to
> produce a new VM version by the end of the year. This VM will include
> the triple-store based storage mechanism. In addition VM users will be
> able to query the VM triple-store directly with SPARQL.
>
> -Parsing of new ontologies and new versions remains disabled for the
> next few days. We will re-enable parsing by early next week.
>
> Permanent Additions
>
> -New ontologies and new versions of ontologies will be typically
> available for text annotation the next day after submission.
> [...]

Am I correct in assuming that this still isn't a Linked Data offering? I
say that because of what I get back from:

curl -iLH "Accept: text/turtle"
http://purl.bioontology.org/ontology/SNOMEDCT/154501005

That returns HTML.

Our Vapour variant for Linked Data verification reports:
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com:8000/vapour?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpurl.bioontology.org%2Fontology%2FSNOMEDCT%2F154501005&validateRDF=1&defaultResponse=dontmind&userAgent=vapour.sourceforge.net
.

Re. SPARQL access, what's the SPARQL endpoint URL? I couldn't find that
in your documentation (of course, I might have just missed it).

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO