Re: owl:sameAs - Harmful to provenance?

From: Jeremy J Carroll <jjc@syapse.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:18:38 -0700
Cc: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>, Rafael Richards <rafaelrichards@jhu.edu>, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com>, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, "<public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>" <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>

On Mar 27, 2013, at 7:56 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> I guess your analogy to GOTO put my back up a little.

I rather liked the GOTO/owl:sameAs presentation …
and I am not sure that the problem can be explained away as modeling errors.
To me it does seem that there is a case to answer … modeling is necessarily approximate and  it is not realistic to expect equality up to some approximation to be an equivalence relation.
Yet the Semantic Web is about linking together many somewhat approximate models.

I also rather liked the title because I used a similar title on the 9th of November, 1989, at a presentation in Saarbrücken, Germany. My title was [Graph] "unification considered harmful". Given the date and location it was the least well chosen title I have ever used.

Jeremy J Carroll
Principal Architect
Syapse, Inc.