Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

On 3/21/13 10:57 AM, Michel Dumontier wrote:
> Kingsley,
>  I think you raise good points. I also nominally speak of entities,
> their attributes and the relations that hold between them. But I think
> your diagram is somewhat misleading. URIs do denote (can stand in the
> place of) entities of interest in order to refer to and/or describe
> them. If you separate the identifier from what it intends to identify,
> then you'll need another identifier for the object of interest (and
> recurse). Hence, a information containing object (document, graph,
> file, etc) may refer to our entity of interest by some label. the
> document could refer to it in some statement, or may contain elaborate
> descriptions about it.  But in no way does a document directly refer
> to a real world object (in does so indirectly through some token - an
> english name, identifier or uri, etc).
>
> m.

I don't see how my illustration conveys anything contrary to what you've
just outlined. The parts:

1. An entity (in this case a Person) -- a real-world or non Web realm
entity
2. An identifier that denotes the Person -- e.g., a URI
3. A document that describes the person -- e.g. a Document comprised of
RDF model based content in the form of an description graph (you can
have many of these, each denoted with its own URI-URL based identifier).

Note: URI-URL is how I convey the fact that you can denote a Web
Document using its URL. Thus, Turtle, RDF/XML, RDFa+(X)HTML etc..
documents (each with their own URI-URLs) can each be comprised of graphs
describing the same entity.

Kingsley