Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

On Mar 20, 2013, at 7:54 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:

>     Hello,
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 12:20 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:
>> But RDF isnt intended to be used in theology. It is intended for recording data, and most data is pretty mundane stuff about which there is not a lot of factual disagreement.
>
>  I think that's the wrong argument. A logical system like RDF should
> enable a community to state whatever they decide worthy of stating.

Well, that would be nice, but as a *logical* system, RDF is almost comically lacking in expressivity. It is binary relational logic without disjunction or negation or implication or universal quantification. All it has are existential quantifiers and conjunction. So to expect people to say whatever they think is worth saying using this, is close to insulting to the people in question :-).

> Whether they agree with others or not should not be a concern of RDF.

And it isn't, in fact. But disagreement is likely to produce inconsistencies, which are a concern of RDF (well, of RDF/OWL, anyway.)

Of course. See http://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Main_Page

> : we should
> only start thinking about provenance once we are done deciding what
> consistency means.

True. But we have decided what consistency means, it is defined rigorously in the 2004 RDF specs.

> You find religious groups perfectly agree on some
> truths. Scientific truths get overturned in unexpected places all the
> time.

Actually I think both of these statements are false, but lets not argue about it here.

Pat