Re: owl:sameAs - Is it used in a right way?

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 21:40:49 -0400
To: Tom Morris <tfmorris@gmail.com>
CC: Jim McCusker <mccusj@rpi.edu>, Jeremy J Carroll <jjc@syapse.com>, Umutcan ŞİMŞEK <s.umutcan@gmail.com>, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, w3c semweb HCLS <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>
Hi Tom,

On 03/17/2013 09:16 AM, Tom Morris wrote:

> So a URI is basically the same thing as a blank node label in RDF?

No, a blank node has no resource definition.  In this sense it is like a
URI with an empty definition.

> Why all the whinging about making URIs dereferenceable?

The reason people advocate serving a URI's definition when that URI is
dereferenced is to have a simple, algorithmic way for different RDF
authors, working independently, to share the same URI definition.  This
draft paper on "Framing the URI Resource Identity Problem: The
Fundamental Use Case of the Semantic Web" explains why it is so helpful:
http://dbooth.org/2012/fyn/Booth-fyn.pdf

> If you dereference
> http://rdf.freebase.com/ns/en.boston can I send you triples about
> Aerosmith instead?  Can I sometimes send you information about the band
> and sometimes the city depending on what I think the context is?

Of course you can, but it would be anti-social to do so.  So if you did
that, others would likely shun your URIs (as they should).

David