To Smalltalk or not to Smalltalk

     Hello,

  OK, since the argument does not seem to refer to any specifics, I figure
it can be used to advocate other technologies as well, such as:

  "I have worked on Smalltalk and systems using Smalltalk for over 40 years
now (and on Smalltalk's "non-OO" predecessors before that). The most
important thing I have learned is that while it is possible to do
object-oriented programming *without* Smalltalk, whatever alternative
technology you choose, you soon feel compelled to add features that make it
look like Smalltalk. I particularly see this whenever someone comes to me
advocating the use of Java. Smalltalk is what it is for a reason, *not*
because we arbitrarily threw something together.

  So it is not that Smalltalk "looks bad" or whatever people might be
saying. It is that other technologies and approaches "fall short" of what
object-oriented programming really needs. Let's not please reinvent things
or shove a round peg in a square hole just because someone prefers curly
braces over angle brackets. Issues like that are not interesting (at all),
and we have more important things to do."

     Take care
     Oliver