Re: From strings to things: ClinicalTrials.gov

Hello Oktie

With respect, I think you have it backwards. The easiest way to show
people things is on web pages, not custom queries. The usual pattern is
to first get them interested and then decide whether we might work
together on a project.

In order to implement the labeling I suggest the following strategy:
First, create an array of arrays each element of which has (for the moment)
the only element being a property name, initially with three values
(highest priority first):
[[linkedct:outcome_measure],[skos:prefLabel],[rdfs:label].
In the interface code, getting  a label for an object will amount to
walking down this list and taking the value of the first property
that has a value on the object. For property values that are entities
in LinkedCT, use the label of the entity. This is the strategy used by protege.

Then start browsing. Click on a numbered link, look at the data, and
pick the property that looks best. Add it to the front of your list. Refresh
the page, which should no longer show the link as numbered.
Repeat for a couple of hours.

I'll even offer to split the labor. You implement the label property
priority list I describe and give me a way to modify it. then I'll
spend a couple of hours browsing and adding to the list.

Once you have an adequate list, a series of SPARQL update queries can
be used to assert all the found labels on to rdfs:label or
skos:prefLabel so that folks that do queries also have an easy time
finding a readable label.

There are easy additions to the procedure. For example, to enable
simple rewrites of property values, in the structure above, allow an
arbitrary number of regex pattern/rewrites expressions after each
property. When constructing the label iterate through applying those
until the first time the substitution
result differs from the original label. Use the substitution results
for the label. With this modification also include:

[linkedct:has_provenance,
s'http://data.linkedct.org/resource/provenance/httpclinicaltrialsgovshow(nct\d+)displayxmltrue'XML
record for study $1 from clinicaltrials.gov']

That's not as good as including the study title, but a bit better. To
get the study title it would make most sense to extract and use it as
a label for http://data.linkedct.org/resource/provenance/httpclinicaltrialsgovshownct00003553displayxmltrue

We should get together some time. I'm not far away, in Buffalo.

Best,
Alan