Re: From strings to things: ClinicalTrials.gov

Dear Kerstin,

LinkedCT provides many external links including the seeAlso links you have
pointed out, so the data is clearly 5-star Linked Data.

Regarding the type of the links, there were long discussions at some point
on this same list I believe on whether or not we should use sameAs to link
to other resources, and the conclusion was that it's safer to use seeAlso
since stating that an intervention on LinkedCT is the same as a drug on
DBpedia for example, may be inaccurate.

Regarding the quality and the quantity of the external links, we clearly
can do better (and that's what we are planning to do), but existing links
have already proven useful in a couple of use cases that take advantage of
the links to PubMed, DrugBank, and DBpedia. One example is the LinkedSPLs
work lead by Rich Boyce:

Dynamic enhancement of drug product labels to support drug safety,
efficacy, and effectiveness<http://www.jbiomedsem.com/content/pdf/2041-1480-4-5.pdf>R.D.
Boyce et al. Journal of Biomedical Semantics 4(1), 5, BioMed Central
Ltd, 2013

Cheers,
Oktie

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Kerstin Forsberg <
kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Dear Kerstin,
>>
>> Have you ever looked at http://linkedct.org ?
>>
>> LinkedCT uses a complex process to turn ClinicalTrials.gov into
>> high-quality 5-start Linked Data. And yes it does provide HTTP URIs for all
>> the "things" on ClinicalTrials.gov, provides HTML or RDF, SPARQL endpoint,
>> etc.
>>
>> Please take a look at http://linkedct.org , http://linkedct.org/stats/ ,
>> and http://linkedct.org/faq/ , and the following articles for any
>> questions you might have.
>>
>> Oktie Hassanzadeh, Soheil Hassas Yeganeh, Renée J. Miller: Linking
>> Semistructured Data on the Web<http://webdb2011.rutgers.edu/papers/Paper%2027/paper27-camera-ready.pdf>.
>> WebDB 2011
>> Oktie Hassanzadeh, Anastasios Kementsietsidis, Lipyeow Lim, Renée J.
>> Miller, Min Wang: LinkedCT: A Linked Data Space for Clinical Trials<http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.0567>.
>> CoRR abs/0908.0567 2009
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Oktie
>>
>> ========================
>> Oktie Hassanzadeh
>> oktie@cs.toronto.edu
>> http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~oktie
>>

>> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Kerstin Forsberg <
>> kerstin.l.forsberg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> a couple of tweets, blog post comments 1) and email exchanges during the
>>> week on moving ClinicalTrials.gov "from strings to things" made me think
>>> this could be a topic for discussion at the upcoming CSHALS. As I'll not be
>>> able to be there in person I'm using this email list to hear your thoughts.
>>>
>>> Background:
>>> We see many nice examples of curated/standardized feeds of CT.gov data,
>>> such as http://linkedct.org,
>>> http://www.patientslikeme.com/clinical_trials and
>>> http://www.clinicalcollections.org/trials/ etc.. Most of them do a good
>>> job in turning “strings into things” and a few of them apply the Linked
>>> Data principles. However, I don’t think any of them use http-based URIs to
>>> identify things such as sponsor organization, clinical sites, clinical
>>> investigators, geography, disease, drug, and time.
>>>
>>> I argue that we as a community caring for clinical trials data should
>>> push back to FDA and NLM to get an official, standardized, linked data
>>> interface directly to the CT.gov at source. And yes, also for FDA and NLM
>>> to push back to pharma companies to provide standardized data about our
>>> trials with URIs to identify things instead of all these text strings. And
>>> also if pharma company websites such as
>>> http://www.gsk-clinicalstudyregister.com/ and
>>> http://www.astrazenecaclinicaltrials.com/ did the same.
>>>
>>> Given the current movement for clinical trial data transparency 2) I may
>>> think the timing is good. But, potentially challenging both for FDA, NLM
>>> and for the pharma companies. They (we) will all look for practical advice
>>> on what URIs to use for things such as drugs and organizations.

>>> http://blog.karmadata.com/2013/02/11/loading-clinical-trials-data-in-ten-minutes-flat/comment-page-1/#comment-20
>>> 2)